Twenty Six

2 weeks later...

Darnell's POV
Man, I was just tryna have a chill night after work. Me and Chris decided to grab some drinks. Nothing crazy, just unwind. The rest of my colleagues went out for dinner. We was sitting at the bar, talking about the gym opening party when this dude slid up to the bar.

Chris elbowed me, laughing. "Aye, don't tell me you already scoping out the scene."

"Nah," I chuckled, shaking my head. "Ain't like that."

The dude next to me ordered a drink, but he glanced my way like he recognized me. Weird.
I wasn't about to strike up no convo though. I ain't that type. But somehow, Chris always finds a way.

"What's good, bro? You work around here or somethin'?" Chris asked, being his usual nosey self.

The dude turned, nodding. "Yeah, I just got off work too. It's been a long day, man."

Chris gave him a once-over. "You from here?."

The dude smiled, ignoring Chris's question. "Y'all was at that rooftop party a few weeks ago, right?"

"Nah bro you must've saw someone who look like me." Chris laughed.

I looked at him, surprised that he brought it up. "Uh. Yeah, I was there. How you know?"

"I was there, I think I remember seein' y'all," he said, leaning against the bar. "Name's Daniel, by the way."

"Darnell," I nodded back, keeping it casual. "This here's Chris."

Chris gave him a nod before looking at me like, "See? I told you."

Daniel smiled, but I could tell he was tryna piece more together. "You guys do something in the area?"

"Yeah, real estate, I made a close on a space with this guy right here, his boy is opening a gym real soon," Chris replied nudging my arm.

I took a sip of my drink.

"Oh, word?" Daniel leaned in a bit, looking interested. "That's dope, man. Where at?"

Might as well tell him now. Since he knows majority of what's going down, can't hurt to invite future gym goers to the newest gym!

"Not far from here. There's gonna be a grand opening soon. You should slide through, meet some folks. My boys Trey and Leon'll be there too."

As soon as I said their names, something flickered in Daniel's eyes. He ain't say nothing right away, but I could tell he was connecting the dots. He probably saw them at the rooftop party with me.

"Trey and Leon, huh?" Daniel repeated, his tone more curious. "I think I heard of them."

I raised a brow, wondering what he meant by that, weird ...but I ain't press it. "Yeah, they the homies. Real solid dudes."

Daniel nodded, playing it cool. "Yeah, I might swing by. Sounds like it'll be a good time."

"Aight, bet," I said, finishing my drink.

Chris leaned forward whispering. "You always inviting randoms to the party, D."

"Nigga you told this Daniel guy everything anyways," I looked at Chris and shrugged. "More the merrier, right?"

I pulled out my phone, shooting a quick message to the group chat with Trey and Leon:

Darnell: Yo I'm rollin to the grand opening with Chris... technically it's still work.

Leon: Cool bro 👊🏾

Trey: Bet but no more paperwork, we done with allat😂