Thirty One

Marcus' POV:

I found out through Instagram that Leon was having an opening for the gym... He couldn't tell a brother?! Damn. Maybe he wanted to surprise me. Who am I kidding?! It's just another thing he's hiding from me.
Of course I invited myself. I gotta support!. Pops missing out on Leon's achievement made me shake my head, bro is actually doing well...

I pulled up to the gym, that one built with majority of my money— Imma be so real, I made this happen. Without me, he wouldn't even have the funds to make this come to life.

I stepped out of my car, looking at the big banner that read "Grand Opening." It was busy. People mingling around in the open area networking, enjoying themselves. I spot my brother immediately, greeting folks with LaTanya, I remembered. I laughed a little.

Leon was working - it was a weird sight, I know he hated working but I guess this was different. He wasn't someone's employee. He was the owner. I cut my eye at what I next saw.. His boy...Why was Trey doing the same though? Was Trey in on the gym business?...He probably out here helping. I pushed the thought to the back of my mind as I made my way to the juice bar. Leon ain't see me yet, but that was about to change.

"Yo, Leon," I called out, loud enough to turn heads.

Leon froze, his smile disappeared. His face hardened with irritation.

"Excuse me I'll be right back...Babe tell them about the design you did..." He excused himself away from the guest then Latanya before turning to me.

"The fuck are you doin' here?" Leon whispered.

"As an investor, I'm here to see what my money built," I said all casual but laced with sarcasm. I was joking but at the same time I wasn't.

Leon's jaw tightened. "Why you here, Marcus? Ain't nobody ask you to come. You been here only 2 seconds and you already pissing me off. You ain't welcome here," Leon shot back, taking a step closer, his chest nearly bumping into mine. "Leave. Now."

"You really thought you could throw a party without tellin' me?" I teased, but I was low-key hurt. Our father missed out on a lot of things when it came to Leon, I didn't want to do the same.
Leon didn't answer my question.
I smiled simply not threatened by him getting closer. "You know my money is the reason why this is even happening.."

Leon shot me a glare. "Your money? You gave me that shit as a favor, now you want credit?" His voice was low with a hint of hurt.

I ignored his point. "I was there for you when you called asking for help."

Leon's face darkened, stepping into Marcus's space. "And you took money that didn't belong to you. You ain't been here nor there for anything. I did this shit on my own. ... seriously, I don't know why you're here Marcus but I'm asking you to leave." He shot a look to the crowd that was facing us in whispers, before he looked to me again. Through his anger, he was still trying to remain professional.

Although we weren't causing a scene, the room went quiet around us. The tension in the air thickened as whispers circulated among the guests. I guess they could tell we were having a heated argument.

It felt like my own brother forgot who's always been there for him. I made a promise to Leon after he was kicked out of the house that I'd be there for him, regardless of what the rest of the family thought.

I let out a laugh before responding. "Funny how you forget who always had your back."

At times my own little brother couldn't see that I wasn't like the rest of the family. They were the ones that cut him off, not me.

Leon stared at me coldly. "Marcus, look at me. Does it look like I give a fuck?"

His words sunk deep, after everything I've done!
My fists clenched, ready to go-if I had to.