Are monsters born or created?

"Do you mean that?"
Reece walked over to her, reaching for her hand as he did. She flinched due to habit, but placed her hand is his.
"Marjorie, I never wanted you to hurt you. I also couldn't see you dead. I understand completely if you want to leave this house, I'll miss you, I'm sorry." Reece said, letting go of her hand and walking upstairs.

'Did he really mean that?' Marjorie thought to herself.

She walked upstairs and saw him, sat on the bed,
His head resting against the headboard.
"God Reece you fucking asshole." He talked to himself, not noticing Marjorie was there.

She sat down beside him, pulling him into her embrace.
"You're not an asshole Reece, you did what you had to do. I'm not mad at you. I'm mad you didn't tell me, but I'm not going anywhere. You don't have to be sorry, I forgive you."

Reece looked down at the woman, seeing the damage he'd done to her. He lifted her chin up with his hand, examining her face closely. The bruises, the busted nose, the lip.

"I'm so sorry for what I've done to you." Reece apologised.
"Come on, let me clean you up." Reece said, leaving the room.

Marjorie was sat on the bed, with her own thoughts. How could his own dad do that do him, what a monster.

Reece came back in with an ice back and bandages. He placed the ice pack on her forehead and bandaged up her nose. He took some disinfecting wipes and cleaned her lip, causing her to jump slightly at the stinging.

"It'll be over soon, stay still." He reassured her.

It had been a few hours since then, and Marjorie had lied sleep beside Reece.  He gave her a quick kiss on the head, before mumbling,

"I'm sorry, for being such a monster to you."

"Monsters aren't born Reece." She started.

"They're created."

——————————-