Chapter 15 - Awaiting Sorrow

Harry's POV

"You did this to her?!" I shout as I walk towards her, tears streaming down my cheeks. I want to punch her fucking face in. She had taken the only girl I love and put her in a life-threatening position. Just the thought of losing Emily makes me feel empty. Her laugh, her smile, those beautiful eyes, her body, her hair, her personality, everything about her could be gone.

"H-harry I didn't mean to," she says looking at me in the eye. She's aged. Her eyes are now grey and sad compared to the clear blue eyes I was familiar with years ago.

"You broke her heart, she was depressed! You were the one who took her away from me. She was gone all because of you! You never knew what was right for her! I can't believe you'd send notes and to her to stay away from me!" I shout in her face.

She flinches back and says "Harry, I don't want her everyday life to be posted for the Internet for the whole world to read! I want her to live a normal life in order for her to be successful, but you will just be in the way of that! You can't even protect her from yourself!"

"Well, sometimes, you have to go to the limits for the one you love," I smile, thinking of all the moments Emily and I have shared together. The times we cuddled on the couch while watching stupid TV shows before she left England. Our small dates that were so simple yet meant the world to me. The constant statement 'I love you' that we said to each other daily may now be taken away from me forever.

"You love her?" she asks timidly, tears streaming down her face.

"I do, and you can't get in between our love, so back off and leave us alone."

"No, I am coming to the hospital to see her. I miss Emily so much sometimes I feel as though my heart could burst." She crumples up against the side of her car, hands coming to her face to block me from seeing the broken woman she has become.

"Do you know what will happen if Emily sees you? She'll be absolutely shattered, and she's already experienced enough heart break in her fucking life to last someone else a lifetime!" I shout, "Just leave her alone. Do you want to hurt her again?"

"Harry! I am the one who has missed her every single day. Knowing she was out there made me so desperate to come see her. Then one day I saw her on the front of a magazine being carried out of her house. That's when I decided that she was going to be broken all over again. I just want her to be safe."

"I can protect her. God, I would jump in front of a bullet for her. I'd do anything for her because I love her so much. I don't even deserve someone as loving and caring as her. But, she makes me feel so important and I wouldn't be myself if she was gone. I'm going to the hospital now. You can make a decision whether you go and break her heart, or stay and leave her with me." I storm off wiping the tears of my blotchy face.

Dozens of people are getting their phones out to record and take pictures. I cover my face with my hand and make my way through the crowd of people. I hear the sound of sirens in the distance coming to sort the mess out on the road where Emily once lay. The car doors slam behind me and I turn around to see the car, which once had a weeping lady leaning on it for support, now deserted.

I let out a frustrated sigh and soldier on to the taxi rank; I put on my sunglasses so people don't notice I've been crying. The rank is isolated so I wait for a taxi to pull up. Soon later, a cab pulls up and I hop in.

"Take me to the closest hospital," I mumble.

The cab takes off and I contemplate what has happened over the past half hour. Emily received her third not from her stalker, I could tell by the way the colour drained from her face and her hands clenched the paper. But, I did not know that the next few minutes would change out lives forever.

Emily got up and left the shop, I was going to meet her outside, I was just pying for the bill, but the waitress asked for a photo and an autograph. Dammit, I just wish I could replay the last hour and save Emily. She didn't deserve this, she doesn't deserve another heartbreak. I don't deserve her. I haven't been able to protect her. God, she was right. The words of the woman resting on the side of the car rings through my head: "you can't even protect her from yourself!"

Tears pour down the side of my face, I can protect her, I protected her from the paparazzi, the fans, even her friends. But that wasn't good enough. God, I hate myself. The sound of her bloodcurdling scream rushes through me.

I just want her smile to be beaming up at me, her eyes locking with mine, her body pressed so tightly against mine that we couldn't get any closer, her soft luscious lips pressed against mine, her hair soft brown between my fingers, her hand on mine reassuring me that everything will be ok. Right now I need her hand there resting upon mine. But all of those beautiful things about Emily have left me and now I feel complete sorrow and nothingness.

"Son, erm, we've arrived. That's be forty eight dollars." I am pulled from my thoughts of Emily when the cab driver turned around.

He held his hand out and I pulled a fifty out of my pocket. "Keep the change," I mumble as I get out of the taxi. At least there are no paparazzi around to photograph me. I dash inside and remove my sunglasses. The receptionist looks up at me as I enter. Her eyes widen in surprise and then blushes.

"Can I help you?" she asks.

"Emily Richards? Is she here?" I ask hopefully.

"Yeah, the family and friends are around the corner," she smiles.

I dash off without saying thanks and turn around the corner to see a big group of family and friends. I notice Remy and Ruby standing with a beautiful tall blonde girl. Their eyes are puffy and they are all making small talk.

I see Margaret lying down on a boy's chest, which I assume is her boyfriend. She looks emotionally and physically drained. Silent tears stream down her cheeks and when my eyes make contact with hers she stands up. She sprints into my arms and hugs me hard; finally letting the tears flow onto my shoulder. I rub her back and cry along with her.

I bury my face in her hair and I hold her tight, just like I did when comforting Emily. I am glad to be holding one of the only other people who will know the sadness we are feeling now.