Chapter 16 - Roses

a/n - me trying to add humour to this very sad story :)

Harry POV

I pull away and look down at her; this is the first time I've ever been able to take in her physical features properly. She has thick eyebrows and mysterious eyes. Margaret is pretty, but I only have eyes for Emily. She isn't wearing make-up and she has a blotchy face, like every other person in this little waiting area.

I take Margaret's hand and guide her towards two seats. I sit her down and she tries to manage a weak smile, which falters.

"Is she okay?" I ask.

"We don't know, the doctor hasn't come out of the operating room yet."

"Operating room!?" I exclaim straightening up.

"Yeah, I was already here because Zac, my boyfriend, his mum was getting surgery, but then I saw her come in..." she trails of, tears begin to stream down her face. I lay a reassuring hand on top of hers.

I hear a door slam down the hall and look to see where it came from. Jack walks out of the bathroom, he looks angry and his face looks splotchy like he's been crying. This send my blood boiling, he can't be here after everything he has done to her.

"What are you doing here?" I say with a hint of anger in my voice as I stand up.

"She's my friend, I'm allowed to be here."

"After everything you've done to her, you're still here?" I raise my voice.

"As if you can talk, Harry," he says my name as if it was a curse word.

"Okay, Jack, since when my past apart of this?" I defend.

"Since you loved her, don't you know anything about love?" he smirks, thinking as if he'd proved me wrong.

"I couldn't bring her back to England, it wasn't legal, I had to let her go, I didn't have a choice!" I shout. I have my fist raised, about to punch him in the face, when I feel someone grab it. I look over to see Margaret looking at me.

"Harry please, your girlfriend is in the hospital room and you decide to pick a fight with her friend," she pleads.

"Fine," I say giving Jack one final glare before slumping in my chair.

She rubs my shoulder which makes me feel less tense. She looks worried, I feel sorry for her, her best friend in hospital and her other friend fighting with me. Margaret's probably been through too much today, she looks so tired. I give her a weak smile as she pulls away and rests her head on my shoulder.

"Do you th- think she'll be okay?" she whispers.

"Of course, my girl's a soldier," I grin.

I hear her chuckle before I close my eyes due to the whole mess of the day.

I wake up when I feel a weight being lifted off my chest. I open my eyes, smiling because I feel Emily close to me, but when I open my eyes I frown. My surrounding isn't the luxurious hotel room I'm staying at, but a small room with chairs lined around it. Some people sit and others stand, waiting impatiently.

The girl on my chest isn't Emily, but a girl with dirty blonde hair. When she turns around and rubs her eyes, I feel relieved. It's only Margaret. I look ahead of me and see Jack, Ruby, Remy, their friend who I think is called Grace, Jack and Emily's aunty, Kate, who I haven't seen in years. Kate looks like she's been awake all night crying for hours on end.

The person standing there is a doctor and my heart suddenly begins to beat. I pull Margaret towards the group as the doctor beckons us forward.

"Hello, Harry" she says giving me a curt nod which I completely ignore, too worried about Em. Guilt rises up through me and I suddenly feel a wash of sadness run through me, "I am doctor Eliza Stewart," she says looking at Margaret. I already knew her name and guilt rushes through me like a wave.