xii

emma's auntie & see you later's.

𝔼𝕞𝕞𝕒 𝕙𝕒𝕕 𝕓𝕖𝕖𝕟 𝕡𝕠𝕟𝕕𝕖𝕣𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕙𝕖𝕣 𝕤𝕚𝕥𝕦𝕒𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕗𝕦𝕥𝕦𝕣𝕖 𝕝𝕚𝕧𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕒𝕣𝕣𝕒𝕟𝕘𝕖𝕞𝕖𝕟𝕥𝕤.

The newly orphaned child had never really known her parents. Despite living with them her entire life, and seeing them every single day, they'd never made an effort to be active in her life.

Her mother was sick, that was all anyone would tell her.

The woman who'd been more concerned with the price of vintage toys online preferred to scan her screen at all hours of the day, rather than cook her six-year-old daughter a meal. Emma had never had a home-cooked meal, nor had she ever had anyone play with her, or entertain her.

The people in the building had called to complain, about her crying, or alert the police about possible child negligence, but the system was flawed at best. Child Protective Services were too busy to intervene, while her parents were alive, and the police claim they didn't receive any calls.

If they did, they were ignored.

Her father was nice, just never home.

He was out with his secretary, whom Emma didn't like. She was obnoxious, and kind of rude.

Emma was lonely until she wandered down the hall.

Wade Wilson said a lot of bad words and was a bit funny-looking, but he was nice.

He would cook for her, and sometimes sit and watch a movie with her when he wasn't at work. He'd check in on her every day, making sure she'd eaten something or was safe. Then he'd leave for work, which must've been really fun. He got to play dress-up and dance around for money.

I could make a joke here, but I won't. For Emma's sake.

Emma wasn't sure what to think of his roommate, Logan, who'd rarely spoken. He was a very large man, one who didn't smile often, his daughter Laura was much nicer. She would take Emma out on occasion, to go shopping or see a movie in theaters.

Logan had never been rude to her, not really, but he wasn't very friendly. He did keep an eye on her, making sure she was safe, much like Wade would.

Estrella was Emma's favorite, she was so nice.

Estrella was warm, and very inviting, always happy to spend time with Emma. The two would watch movies, or hang out at the Gas Station where she worked, or just talk whilst the elder girl would brush Emma's hair.

She made Emma feel important, like what she had to say mattered. Emma felt safe with her.

When Emma had gotten a call, from a woman claiming to be her aunt, she was nervous, to say the least. She'd never met this woman and wasn't sure what to think about potentially living with her.