CHAPTER #7

Chapter #7

Life has taken a completely different path. I never thought that this could also be something I would ever do, but here I am living despite it all.
It's been a month since I started my training.

It took me forever to reach the address of the place I'll be training in. At the end of the block stood a pretty old building. I walked towards the entrance and to the gate.

It was pretty rusted and not painted for ages. I walked into the building only to see it being completely empty, just layers of dust over the broken pecan tiles. I felt a gaze behind me as I turned around to see an unfamiliar face. He walked up to me with composure.

“Are you miss Keira?” he questioned.

“Yes.” I replied nervously.

Without a single word he started walking while gesturing to me to follow him.

He escorted me to the stairs which went down and straight into a room. He pushed the heavy door and let me enter it. It was a whole different place inside.

A well built studio with people training at different spots, a lot of gym equipment and blinding lights.

“This is the place you will be training.”he said while showing me around.

“We have fixed up a personal trainer for you, follow me I'll introduce you to him.”

I walked behind him while looking around. I saw people looking at me with not so pleasant stares as if I'm an alien between all these people.

I felt my heart racing. I bowed my head down walking until we reached the very end. There was a middle aged man helping a guy with boxing. He looked at us and stopped as he walked towards us.

“You must be Kiera!” he said with a little hunch of excitement.

“Yes.”

“Nice to meet you Kiera. I'm Benette.
I'll be training you from now on.”

“Nice to meet you too sir” I replied.
Benette nodded at the man who escorted me in and he exited the place.

“You are the chosen one. I know all of this must be new for you but trust me you are in good hands. All of this will be worth it.”

I looked at him confused and slightly nodded in reply.

I was trained with the basics  in the first three weeks. I honestly was not holding up well. I have learnt basic self defense in school but this was on another level.

                             _____

Three months passed away as I was trying my best to keep pace with all the training. It was hard and I used to be completely exhausted by the end of the day.

I haven't seen Lena anymore but honestly I don't want to meet her anytime soon, not when I'm not keeping up with all this.

She was so excited for me to do this but seeing me like this would surely dishearten her.

In the middle of training, my coach called me out for a talk. I followed him hesitantly as he began to start the conversation.

“Mr Martin will be here today”

Surprised, I asked him back

“Why is that?”

He looked at me for a few seconds then began to speak.

“He'll be here for your evaluation. He needs to check on you and know about  your progress. He needs to be sure of his decision of choosing you”
I felt weird in my stomach as I deciphered his words. I was pretty nervous because I knew I hadn't been doing well.

Just when I was about to say something I heard the doors open by the guards in black suits then followed by Mr Martin.

As he started walking further the people around him started greeting him but he had his gaze fixed on me and walked directly towards me.

“Hello Keira, we meet again.”  he said in a calm voice.

“Hey sir” I replied in a faint tone.
I was really anxious as I thought about all the money I would have to return to him if he doesn't acknowledge me today.

“I hope the coach has notified you about the reason for my visit today.”

I nodded as I walked towards the coach and asked him “what will I have to do?”

Coach called a guy who was far away and then told me something really unexpected.

“You're gonna fight with him. Don't worry he's a beginner too he have trained as much as you”

Chills ran down my spine as I looked at the guy in front of me.
He gestured to me to move towards the empty area for the battle.
The fight started and I felt all the eyes on me specially Mr Martin gaze was piercing holes in me.

I kept losing the rounds one by one and I could see the disappointment on his face.

The fight ended and I was not able to catch my breath. I breathed heavily and fell on the ground trying to gather myself.

He walked towards me with a stiff expression  as I pushed my myself off the ground forcefully trying to stand up

“Maybe I was wrong.” He spoke.

“I feel like I made the wrong decision investing in you. I'm really disappointed and don't know who to blame. I never expected you to bring me down this bad”

Every word hit me hard like someone shooting arrows into my heart.
I made an attempt to speak but words didn't come out
.
“Sorry.”I murmured as he silently looked at me with a frown face.

I tried to speak more but he walked away followed by his guards.
My eyes met with the coach and he gave me a pitiful look.

“You should probably get home now. We can start again from tomorrow.” I slightly nodded and walked away while all the gazes were still on me. I felt every single gaze. People were already whispering and looking down on me and I could not take it anymore.

I exited the building and started walking away as fast as I could until I couldn't walk anymore. I felt weird in my stomach knowing the panic attack had kicked in as I quickly looked for a place I could be alone.

I spotted a restaurant. I quickly walked in ignoring the waiter. I straight away stepped into the washroom and locked myself in.

I couldn't stand still anymore as I dropped on the floor breathing heavily trying to control myself but ended up throwing up.

My body was trembling with a sharp pain in my head.
I sat there for the next ten minutes trying to gather myself.
I got out and went to the sink to wash up as I looked at my reflection in the mirror.

I finally processed what all happened. Maybe he's right. I was never made for this. But at this point I can't give up. I can't return the money. I can't afford to give up.

Weirdly Lena kept crossing my mind this whole time. I guess I was wrong. I want to see her at these times. After all, she was there whenever I was at the end of the cliff.

All the regret crawled into me leaving me feeling remorse.