CHAPTER 9

I passed it. I still can't believe all this happened. Jane came looking for me that night after I bid goodbye to Lena. She could not believe her eyes seeing me in one piece and with the files I had to bring.

I trained the next 2 months learning to use different computers and PCs and learning simple hacking techniques. Honestly, it did not sit right in my mind and took me forever to learn.

The next month was the worst for me as I was training to shoot and use guns. I hated every second of it. Not only was I not good at aiming, but also the sound of the gun gave me anxiety.

I was particularly terrified of this as I had to learn how to shoot very precisely so that when I shoot I don't kill the person, just injure him enough so he can't make further motion. I've spent hours all alone shooting my shots on the human shaped cardboard aiming on the hands and legs.

Mr. Martin visited a few times to keep an eye on my progress. He never compliments me if I do upright and keep up but at least these days I'm not getting cursed at by him

I got a message from the assistant saying Mr.Martin wanted to see me. It was 6 pm when I left my house to go to his office. I reached there 25 minutes later and made my way to his office.

“Can I come in?”

“Yes.”

I made my way inside, towards his desk. After meeting him a few times I don't peculiarly feel nervous around him anymore. I stood there waiting for him to say something.

“I'm gonna have to put you in standby now.”

I raised my eyebrow completely bewildered by what he was trying to say.

“Since you have completed your entire training I want to put you in a team” he said giving a slight smile.

My eyes widened as I started taking in all the words

“A team?” I squealed.

“Yes! Then you can officially start working together and also start earning”

I realized that I've finally made it. I don't have to be agonized by the debt. And most of all I don't have to train anymore. I can get good sleep at night without my body being sore and crying in pain.

He noticed the change in my expression and said,
“You will still have training though. Not every day but intermittently.”

“Ehh!?” I blurred out.

He grinned at my reaction.
“But as I said you're on standby now. You won't have training until I finally make a decision for you”

My eyes sparkled in contentment.
“Really?”

“Yes. Make sure you rest enough now. I cannot guarantee any kind of leisure once you are in the team.”

I brought my hand to my forehead giving a little salute, “ yes I will!”

I was really glad to be able to come this far. It feels fictitious. I don't know what kind of work I'll be doing once I'm in the team but I really want to be able to hold it till the end.

As I was walking towards my house I noticed a figure standing in front of my door. I quickly made out it was Lena.
I slowed my pace looking away from her.
When I almost reached the door I heard her calling my name.

“Keira!! You're back!”she exclaimed frantically looking directly into my eyes.

“What are you doing here?”

“I'm here to kidnap you” she yelled, wrapping her hands around my arm.

“shhh! Girl you're too loud the neighbors will complain”