CHAPTER 1

The alarm went off as usual, and I thought about waking up. I lay in bed, thinking about the day ahead of me. I went to the window to open the blinds. Then, I went to the balcony and could see the fog around the house; it justified the cold weather of the hilly area.

I was not interested in watching whatever was going on, so I headed towards the bathroom. I tried to convince myself that my messed-up hair looked good by looking at myself in the mirror. Just like my everyday routine,I started getting ready.

Allow me to introduce myself to you while I get ready. First of all, let's start with my name. My name is Sam, not really Sameera Al Radh. I am 17 years old, and I just moved from Alabama to Georgia. I have neither siblings nor pets. Basically, I am the only child of my parents, Mr. and Mrs. Al Radh.

My best friend, whom I had to leave behind, is Zia Casio. Unfortunately, I won't get to meet her until summer, although we text each other. Back to reality, my mom called me for breakfast. As I took my bag and went down the stairs slowly toward the kitchen, I saw the same old breakfast: eggs and toast.

In front of me was a gorgeous lady with her beaming smile, stunning jet-black eyes, and beautiful long hair pulled into a bun.She was my mother, and seeing her, I could not really say no to the egg and toast on the table for me after a really busy week of settling in.

I had almost finished my breakfast when I saw my dad walking down the stairs towards the kitchen. He was a smart, tall man. His mustache and long beard, different shades of reddish-brown, and neatly combed hair were perfection at its best.

I embraced the two, bade goodbye to them, and departed for school. I got out of the house and found it extremely cold, realizing that I had not put on my coat. Thus, I took my coat out of the bag and put it on. Once again, I marched towards the school.

On the way, I saw people poles apart but with one thing in common: they all seemed to be happy and waiting to see what good day lay ahead.

I chanced to ignore what was around me and walked away in silence. A few steps from the crowd, my eyes happened to fall on a stone that, compared to an ordinary stone, looked odd.Feeling curious, as I collect strange things, I went near it and picked it up to take a closer look; it was covered with a piece of paper.

Since I didn't have much time to examine it right where I found it, I put the stone into my pocket. After walking such a long way, I began to see a very large building with a big sign in front, with large bold letters reading, "Green Hill High School.

" I went in; it was a huge building, painted pale brown.It had a huge parking spot in front of the main hall, I guess. I was a lot more nervous than I had thought I would be, being the new girl and all, a month late at that. I started walking off clumsily so that I wouldn't notice.

Well, not only was I heading towards the head office anxiously, but I also found out that all the kids had settled in and were making friends, which basically meant it was going to be hard to fit in. Finally, I was in front of a door with the sign "Office."

Entering the office, I found five boys standing in one corner, looking at me with wide eyes as if I were an alien. As I went forward toward the lady sitting at the front desk, I heard the footsteps of the five who went out, banging the door behind me with a thud.I approached the lady, who was going through the heap of papers on the desk, but she did not notice my presence.

She looked strange, almost like a witch, I thought. She had curly hair, was short, had pointed eyebrows, beautiful brown eyes, and a pointed chin. I was a little nervous, took a deep breath, and said, "Hello, my name is Sameera Al Radh." She looked at me as if I had entered the office at the wrong time and disturbed her in the middle of something important.

"Oh, the new admission! Hi, I'm Mrs. Watson. You have to get some signatures from your subject teachers on the paper and return it at the end of the day." She handed some sheets to me along with the schedule.I put the sheets in my bag so I wouldn't misplace them by the end of the day.
I came out and checked my schedule to find out which subject I had to go to first. I started walking towards my class and saw a group of girls with five boys who were whispering while pointing at me and looking at me suspiciously.

Feeling uneasy but still ignoring their presence, I continued towards my first lecture. For some reason, I did not want to be in my first lecture, as this was one of my least favorite subjects: biology, which, from my point of view, is extremely boring.

The school bell rang, and I knew I was already late on the very first day.Indeed, the class wasn't hard to find, but it had already started. I opened the door, and standing there was a beautiful lady wearing a white frock and huge heels, as she was small and had glasses on.

She had sea-blue eyes, and her hair was pulled into a ponytail. "Excuse me," I said. She looked at me and said, "Ah, you are the new girl, aren't you? Come on in; what's your name?" I answered nervously, "Sameera Al Radh." Then she turned to the class. "May I have your attention, please?

I have someone to introduce." Suddenly, the whole class fell silent, and I could feel all the eyes focused on me, which gave me goosebumps. She introduced me, saying, "This is Sameera, your new classmate. Make her feel comfortable; she is a part of you now.

" She turned toward me and said, "You can take your seat in the last row on the left side." I was very grateful that I was assigned to a seat at the back, where there would be very little attention.Get out your textbooks and turn to page ninety.

Now we are going to start the plant lesson, and before I take up the lesson, Sameerayou can take the notes you missed from Lexi Caleb. She was the girl sitting beside me, really with long hair, round eyebrows, black eyes, and wearing glasses; she looked like a nerd but seemed like a kind soul.
She was happy to share her notes with me. We were supposed to guess the sector and then summarize it. I did this lesson at my former school in Alabama, so that was easy to get done. I did this work fast and was bored at the same time; doing the work while others are struggling makes me feel proud.

She leant her head to the left, to see whether I could do the assigned work or not, but she was shocked to see that I have done before the rest of them could as she was struggling. "Are you done?" she asked with wide-open eyes. As I had time to spare, I reached into my pocket and grabbed the stone that I had picked earlier.

Just when I was trying to figure out what was on the stone, Lexi started asking questions about how I finished so fast. I told her about how I had done this in our previous school. She made a face, but she didn't ask any more questions; she just continued working.

At the end of the day, I took the notes from Lexi. After working for a few hours, I went home alone.I still didn't have any friends. I thought, while going back, that it was harder to make friends here than it had been at my previous school, where it had been very easy.

After that tiring day and the long, lonely walk, I stood a little away from the main gate of my house, gazing around like a madman. I finally went in. I was exhausted but not hungry; all I wanted was to lie down. Furthermore, I shouted to Mom while climbing the stairs that I was not hungry, then went to my room and jumped on the bed.

A little while later, Mom was calling me down for tea; that's when I woke up and realized that I was hungry. I scuttled down to have some food. "Good afternoon," she beams. "Afternoon, Mom," I said. "What were you doing?" "Just a little of my assignments before I fell asleep," I answered.

Dad was early today; he was earlier than usual. We usually have family time before dinner, so we sat in the hall trying to discuss how our day went. Mom made new friends with the neighbors at the nearby market, and Dad said that he made friends at the office, stating further that he was very tired from work.

This means that both Mom and Dad met new people and made friends, whereas I was supposed to do it. So when Mom asked, "Did you make friends?" I just gave her a slight, discouraged nod, so I wouldn't have to continue this conversation.

A little later, I excused myself and went up to my room.I saw the stone on my bed; it might have fallen when I was asleep. I kept the stone on the shelf above the desk where all the unique and mysterious things that I collect are kept, and then I went to sleep.