Chapter 23: Nemesis Dreams

-

"Have you seen my pajamas?" Hort whimpered outside Sophie's door. "The ones with frogs?" Swaddled in his tattered bed sheets, Sophie stared at a window she'd sealed dark with a black blanket. "My father made them for me," Hort sniffled. "I can't sleep without them."

But Sophie just gazed at the blackened window, as if there was something in the darkness only she could see. Hort brought up barley gruel, boiled eggs, browning vegetables from the Supper Hall, but she didn't answer his knocks. For days, Sophie just lay still as a corpse, waiting for her prince to come. Soon her eyes dulled. She didn't know what day it was. She didn't know if it was day or night. She didn't know if she was asleep or awake.

Somewhere in this grim fog the first dream came.

Streaks of black and white, then she tasted blood. She gazed up into a storm of boiling red rain. She tried to hide, but she was strapped to a white stone table by violet thorns, her body tattooed in a strange script she'd seen before but couldn't remember where. Three old hags appeared beside her, chanting and tracing the script on her skin with crooked fingers. Faster and faster the hags chanted until a steel knife, long and thin as a knitting needle, appeared in the air over her body. She tried to wrest free, but it was too late. The knife fell with vengeance, pain flooded her stomach, and something inside her was born. A pure white seed, then a milky mass, and then a golden mass, bigger, bigger, until she saw what it was... A face...no...two faces...faces too blurry to see...

"Sophie?"
Sophie jolted awake.
Y/n sat on the edge of her bed, conjuring clothes on her body.
"Sophie, are you okay? You haven't gone to class for days"
Sophie didn't look at her.
"Come on. You can borrow my nose clips for Yuba's class." Y/n stood, lit by a small tear in the window. "Day three of 'Know Your Animal Dung!'"

Strained silence ticked by.

Y/n slumped to the bed. "What should I have done, Sophie? He could have died multiple times, I tried to get him to you."
"It's not right," Sophie said, almost to herself. "You and me... it's not right. I always thought Agatha was the witch, but I was wrong."
"What?" Y/n asked, tilting her head.
"Don't act stupid," Sophie said. "You always tricked me, and everyone else. Why are you even here?"
"Because I wanted to see how you were. I was worried about you!"

"No. Why are you here," Sophie said, looking out the window. "In my school. In my fairy tale."
"Because I was tricked into the Forest, and I was sent a Flower Ground ticket." Y/n said.
"Oh, sure." Sophie said and rolled her eyes. "That's all a trick by you. You have planned this from the start. Because deep down, you don't want me to find love, Y/n."
"What? Of cour–"
"I think you want me all for yourself."
Y/n's whole body went rigid. "That's–" She swallowed. "That's not it."
"The School Master was right," Sophie said, still not looking at her. "A princess can't be friends with a witch. I just was blinded to the one who was the true witch."
"But we are friends," Y/n said. "You're one of the best friends I've ever had!"
"You know why a princess can't be friends with a witch, Y/n?" Slowly Sophie turned to her face. "Because a witch never had her own fairy tale. A witch had to ruin one to be happy. Ever since the first day we talked, you tried to use me."
Y/n fought back tears. "But I'm not– I'm not using you–"
"THEN GET YOUR OWN LIFE!" Sophie screamed. She watched the moth flee through the rip in black window, then crawled back under her sheets until all the light was gone.

-

That night, Sophie had her second dream. She was running through woods, hungrier than she'd ever been–until she found a deer with two human faces, the same milky and golden, blurred faces, glimpsed the night before. She looked closer to see whose it was, but the deer's face was now a mirror and in it, she could see her reflection. But it wasn't hers. It was the Beast's.