Chapter 22

Trigger Warning: This story contains mature language, suggestive themes, and potentially disturbing content.  read at own risk.

The day of Taehyung's mother's funeral was a bleak one

The day of Taehyung's mother's funeral was a bleak one. The sky was overcast, heavy with clouds that threatened rain, as if the heavens themselves were mourning her loss. The grand estate where the service was held seemed colder than ever, its imposing walls devoid of any warmth or comfort.

Taehyung stood by the coffin, his small, trembling hand gripping the edge, staring down at the lifeless form of his mother. Her face, once so full of love and tenderness, was now pale, her eyes closed forever. He couldn't comprehend it—how someone so vibrant could be gone. Tears welled up in his eyes, but he didn't dare let them fall. His father stood beside him, tall and stoic, his face a mask of indifference.

As the final rites were being performed, Taehyung felt a gentle hand on his shoulder. It was his Nana, his grandmother, the only remaining source of warmth in his life. She knelt down beside him, her eyes soft and filled with sorrow.

"Taehyung-ah," she whispered, her voice trembling. "Your mother is in a better place now. She will always be with you, in your heart."

Taehyung nodded, though he wasn't sure if he believed it. He felt empty, lost. The world around him was moving, but he felt frozen in place.

A few feet away, his father stood talking with the funeral director, his tone as cold and businesslike as ever. There was no sign of grief on his face—only irritation, as if this entire affair was an inconvenience to him. Nana's eyes narrowed as she watched him, her lips pressed into a thin line. She had known her son-in-law for years, and yet she had never seen any emotion from him, not even at the loss of his wife.

After the funeral service ended and the guests started to leave, Nana approached him. Her small, weathered frame stood in stark contrast to his tall, imposing figure.

"You've shown no respect for her," Nana said quietly, her voice sharp with disapproval. "Not even on the day of her funeral."

His father turned to face her, his expression unchanging. "Respect?" he scoffed, his tone dripping with disdain. "What would you know about respect, old woman?"

Nana's eyes flashed with anger, but she kept her voice low, her words measured. "I know what love and loyalty look like. And I know that whatever happened to my daughter, you had a hand in it."

His father's face darkened at the accusation, his jaw clenching. "Watch your words, old woman. You know nothing."

"I know enough," Nana said, her voice trembling with emotion. "She deserved better than you. And Taehyung does too."

For a brief moment, something flickered in his father's eyes—anger, perhaps, or guilt—but it was gone as quickly as it appeared. Without another word, he turned and walked away, leaving Nana standing there, her fists clenched at her sides.