chapter 15

The grand dining room of the mansion was shrouded in the soft glow of candlelight, casting gentle shadows on the opulent furnishings

The grand dining room of the mansion was shrouded in the soft glow of candlelight, casting gentle shadows on the opulent furnishings. Ana sat at the head of the long table, her posture poised and her expression carefully controlled, but her heart raced beneath the surface. Each tick of the clock seemed louder, each passing second a reminder of the storm brewing in her life.

Her fingers, slick with sweat, gripped the edge of her chair. She tried to remain still, but the anxiety bubbling inside her made every breath feel like a laborious task. It was well past eight, and with every minute that Taehyung delayed, Ana's nerves frayed a little more. Her gaze flickered to the empty seat beside her, the absence of his presence heightening the tension that tightened in her chest. A shiver of dread slithered down her spine as her thoughts returned to the note, now hidden in her writing desk—a threat that haunted her every moment.

"Your next step is to get pregnant with Taehyung's child. If you fail to comply, your history will be exposed to Taehyung, who is desperately searching for answers. Act swiftly and decisively."

The words echoed like a menacing whisper in her mind. Ana's heart pounded with fear, the chilling command wrapping itself around her like a vice. The mere thought of the consequences if she failed was enough to make her stomach churn with dread. She had spent months tiptoeing around her marriage, her every move calculated, every word measured. Now, the stakes had risen beyond anything she had imagined.

Suddenly, the door to the dining room creaked open. Ana's heart skipped a beat, her stomach knotting as Taehyung entered. His tall frame filled the space, his presence commanding attention with an effortless authority that sent a ripple of tension through the room. He didn't look at her immediately, his expression unreadable, his movements slow and deliberate as he took his seat. The silence that followed was suffocating.

Ana felt his cold indifference from across the table. He didn't say a word, but the weight of his gaze when it finally did land on her was like a heavy stone pressing against her chest. Her throat tightened. She forced herself to keep her face neutral, to meet his eyes without showing the turmoil inside her, though she knew he could never really see the truth of her fears. The silence between them was not new, but tonight, it felt heavier—charged with an undercurrent of something dark and foreboding.