Chapter 4

The next morning, Anastasia woke up with a heavy heart. The exhaustion from the previous night still weighed on her, but she knew she had to make a decision. Her eyes were swollen from crying, and the reality of her situation hit her harder than ever. I'm out of options, she thought, staring blankly at the ceiling. Maybe it's time to give up... go back to Russia, try to start over.

But even as the thought crossed her mind, she couldn't shake the feeling that something was keeping her in Seoul, something she hadn't yet uncovered. Ji-ah... The name echoed in her thoughts, a painful reminder of the friend she had lost. She still didn't understand why Ji-ah had cut off all contact, why she had sent that package after so many years, or why her death had been shrouded in so much mystery. I can't leave without answers.

Anastasia sat on the edge of her hotel bed, staring blankly at the ceiling. The events of the past few days had left her on edge, her thoughts a tangled mess of fear and confusion. She was no closer to understanding who was behind the mysterious packages or what they wanted from her. The ticket to the gala, the cryptic messages—it all felt like some twisted game. And now, she was running out of time and options.

A knock on the door startled her from her thoughts. Her heart leapt into her throat as she stood, hesitant. Was this the mysterious person who had been pulling the strings all along? She hesitated, but curiosity and desperation got the better of her. I can't leave without answers, she reminded herself, crossing the room to open the door.

Standing there was a well-dressed man, his face unreadable. He was tall, with an air of authority that made her instantly wary.

"Miss Quinn?" His voice was calm, but there was an edge to it that made her uneasy.

"Yes?" she replied cautiously.

"I'm here to take you to where you need to be," he said, his tone leaving no room for argument.

Anastasia's heart pounded. Could this be the person I've been waiting for? She took a deep breath and nodded, grabbing her bag. As she followed the man out of the room, she couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong, but her need for answers overpowered her instincts.

The ride was long and silent, the cityscape of Seoul eventually giving way to the dark, winding roads of the countryside. As the car continued deeper into unfamiliar territory, a sense of dread began to creep into Anastasia's mind. This wasn't what she had expected. Where are they taking me?

The car finally pulled up to a grand villa, secluded and foreboding. The man led her inside without a word, his silence only adding to her growing unease. The interior was lavish but cold, as if the wealth on display couldn't mask the emptiness beneath it.

As they moved through the villa's labyrinthine halls, Anastasia realized with a sinking heart that she had made a terrible mistake. This wasn't the person behind the packages. This was something else—someone else. What have I done?

Finally, they reached a door at the end of a long corridor. The man opened it and gestured for her to enter. Anastasia hesitated, her fear now palpable, but she knew there was no turning back. She stepped inside, and the door closed behind her with a finality that made her stomach drop.

The room was dimly lit, filled with expensive furniture that seemed to mock her predicament. She stood there, alone and vulnerable, her mind racing. Who brought me here? And why?

She didn't have to wait long for an answer. As the door creaked open again, she turned, her breath catching in her throat as she saw the figure standing there. It was Kim Taehyung.

Taehyung entered the room with a quiet intensity, his presence commanding and cold. His eyes, sharp and calculating, locked onto hers, and in that moment, Anastasia realized that this was no mere coincidence. He had no idea who she truly was, but she could tell from his gaze that she had piqued his interest.

But how could he not know? She was in shock, trying to piece together how this powerful man—this ruthless business tycoon—had no idea that she had come from Russia, or that she spoke fluent Russian. How could he not know that his own late wife, Yoon Ji-ah, had been her best friend in the orphanage?

As she stood there, frozen, her mind raced with the implications. This man, who had every resource at his disposal, was oblivious to her past and her connection to the woman who had once been his wife. The realization sent a chill down her spine.

And yet, despite the fear gnawing at her, Anastasia couldn't deny the magnetic pull she felt in his presence. Taehyung was mesmerizing in a way that both frightened and intrigued her, and she could see a flicker of something similar in his eyes—a curiosity, perhaps, or something deeper, more dangerous.

In the silence that hung between them, Anastasia knew one thing for certain: she couldn't leave without answers.

The tension in the room was palpable as Anastasia and Taehyung faced each other, the air thick with unspoken questions and unacknowledged emotions. Taehyung's gaze never wavered, his eyes cold and inscrutable, yet there was something in the way he looked at her—an intensity that made her heart race, though she struggled to keep her composure.

Finally, Taehyung broke the silence, his voice low and measured. "You've been causing quite a stir, Miss Quinn."

His tone was devoid of warmth, but it was clear he was intrigued. Anastasia, trying to mask her nervousness, met his gaze, determined not to let him see her fear.

"I didn't intend to," she replied, her voice steadier than she felt. "But it seems I've found myself in the middle of something I don't understand."

Taehyung's lips curved into a faint, humorless smile. "You've certainly managed to get my attention. Not many people do that."

Anastasia swallowed, feeling the weight of his words. How much does he know? she wondered. The way he spoke, it was as if he was probing for something, testing her.

"I'm just trying to figure out what's going on," she said cautiously. "Why I'm here... and why you've taken an interest in me."

sorry for late