25. Who are you really?

A/N : Please like my facebook page, www.facebook.com/JenniferBirdsBooks

*********************************************

I was frozen on the spot. I couldn't tear my gaze from Alaric's smirking face.

He remembered.

He must have vervain somewhere on his person. My mind was racing. How could I have been so stupid? Now everyone would know just what kind of monster I was. My head spun around and my eyes fell on Damon. I think it would actually break my heart to see him look at me with disdain. Would he be the one to fill me full of vervain again, or would he have one of the others do it.

Would they even bother with the vervain this time, at least then I didn't have my humanity on, they had something to fight for? This time I fed from humans, killed some of them and I didn't hate myself, I just hated the idea of Damon finding out.

As I was figuring out how long it would take me to either run, or kill Alaric... said possible victim ordered two more drinks. He put one in front of me. "Relax love, you'll live longer."

Ok... what was wrong with Ric. He was acting weird. I parted my lips to talk but he cut me off, "We'll talk later."

I wanted to talk now damn it, but before I could I realised that he was looking to the table where the group was sitting. Apparently Damon had finally realised that I was no longer sitting next to him. He quickly scanned the room, his search coming to a stop when he saw us sitting at the bar. He excused himself from the table and sauntered over to us. I couldn't help the smile as I watched him strut.

But the smile quickly faltered when I realised that he would never look at me like that again if he found out the truth about me.

"Hey Ric, are you trying to steal my girl away from me?" Damon joked, putting his arm across my shoulders.

I couldn't look away from Alaric. What was he going to say?

"I don't think so mate. After all, I don't think a sweet girl like Jessica could be swayed away from your side." Alaric mused after what felt like eternity.

I felt my body relax into Damon's side. I smiled up at him, "So how goes it over there?" I asked, nodding towards the table where the others still sat.

Damon shrugged his shoulders, "Oh you know... the usual, Elena wants to stick to this deal she has with Elijah. I think we should just find a way to kill him, and handle this Klaus dick when, or if, he shows up."

Damon was looking at me, but I was still watching Alaric, afraid he was toying with me, that he was going to blurt out everything. I saw a flicker of surprise in his eyes. "Elijah?" he asked after a pause.

Damon turned to him, "Yeah, you know... original douche, always in a suit."

I could have sworn I saw anger replace the surprise on Alaric, but as quickly as it was there, it was gone.

"Yeah," Ric was now smiling, "Sorry, just spaced there for a moment."

I shook my head lightly in confusion. I was right, there was something defiantly up with Alaric, but I couldn't exactly ask him, now could I? Not without revealing what I had done to him.

Right now I just wanted to get out of here, away from Ric's unwavering gaze. I looked up at Damon, "Do you want to get out of here? Go back to mine?"

He pulled me close and gave me a light kiss, "Defiantly." He murmured against my lips.

Thank god.

We pulled apart and Damon went to say goodbye to the others. He was halfway to the table when Elena stood up and stormed out. Stefan and bonnie were still sitting there, both supporting very angry expressions.