34. A Long Day

"Damon fucking Salvatore!"

Caroline, Stefan and Damon froze. The four vampires all stood facing each other without speaking for a full moment. The silence only broken when both Caroline and Stefan came rushing to Damon's defence.

"It wasn't Damon Jessica... I swear..." Caroline blurted. "He's been here with us this whole time. Someone left you at our doorstep." Stefan continued.

I looked at them like they were idiots, "Of course Damon didn't physically do this to me," the tone of my voice showing my annoyance, "however, he is the reason that this happened to me." My gaze had shifted to Damon, I ignored the pain in my chest that I felt every time I looked at him. I could see the pain he held behind his eyes when he looked at me. "Apparently he killed some guy called Mason, so Mason's girlfriend decided to get revenge by coming after me. Wanted to hurt him I guess. Of course she didn't realise that it's a different brunette that holds your heart these days."

Stefan parted his lips, whatever defence for his brother that he was undoubtedly about to say was cut off by Damon. 

"She's right... this is my fault." Damon's voice was barely a whisper when he spoke. He moved closer to me, put his hands on my hips, and the next thing I knew we were standing in his bedroom. Ugh, why did he have to take me here.

"I'm so sorry Jessica... for everything that you have had to endure as a result of me. So much pain, I don't know how you will ever forgive me."

As he spoke my eyes wandered around the familiar room, I could see into his bathroom, my toiletries still littered the counter all around the sink. Without answering him I walked over the dresser and pulled open the top two drawers. They were still filled with my clothes. I closed both the drawer and my eyes as I took a few breaths. Finally I sat on the bed, "For god sake Damon, it's not your fault."

He looked ready to argue with me, but I continued "Damon, my father was always going to kill me, no matter where we were. You saved my life that night, without you I would have been buried next to my mother. Then the night I fell from your balcony, if it hadn't been for your blood in my system, I also would have died then."

I kept my gaze on my fingers, which I couldn't help but pick at as I spoke. "I was so broken Damon, and you did save me in so many ways. Other than my mother, I never knew what love was until you."

I felt him sit beside me on the bed, "It would be so easy to blame you Damon, part of me wants to.. but you didn't send my father or uncle after me. You didn't make me kill Michael, or attack anybody... or hell even turn of my emotions. I'm a big girl Damon, I make my own decisions, even when they're bad ones."

He put his arm around my shoulder and I leaned in, I felt his lips brush my head. "Did we ever have a chance Damon?" I felt the words tumble from my lips before I could stop myself. At first there was no answer, and then I felt him hold me that little bit tighter. "You changed things for me Jessica... I really need you to see and believe that. I won't ever lie to you, especially about my feelings for Elena. I cannot understand why I am drawn to her. However, I love you. I'm telling you now though, that I'm not giving up on us just yet, and I hope you don't either."

Finally I looked up at him, really looked at him. I could see the truth in his eyes, that he meant every word. I just didn't know if I could be with someone who was in love with someone else as well. I started to reply, but I was cut off when we heard the front door open and close. I could hear the others arriving. Damon was still looking at me, waiting for me to say what ever it was that I had been about to. However the words would not come out now. He seemed to understand that I had to figure this out, figure out what I needed. 

He stood up, and smiled. It was the first warm smile he had given me in days. We headed downstairs and back into the library. Bonnie and Elena had joined Stefan and Caroline, all eyes swinging to us as we entered the room. I could see the judgement rolling from Bonnie, but Elena offered me a small smile. When I returned the smile it was an honest one, I had no thoughts of killing her. I saw her eyes widen and realised she was taking in my torn, bloody clothes.