18. The monster within

"I would like to stay here in Mystic Falls, if that's ok with everybody?"

Everybody turned at the sound of my voice, I was standing in the doorway. Caroline was by my side in a flash. So she was a vampire too. She hugged me tightly,

"Oh Jessica, we would love for you to stay. You're part of our big messed up family now."

She led me in to the room. Damon poured me a whiskey and I sat on the arm of his chair. I downed the drink in one gulp and without saying a word he just filled up my glass again. This time I sipped it. Elena spoke up,

"Well the house is already yours, and you have money so if you want to stay we would love you to. But what are you going to do? Are you going to stay in school," she laughed, "I mean you're going to live forever, you probably don't want to put up with teachers and homework anymore."

They all looked at me in shock, I looked down at my hand. I hadn't realised when Elena mentioned teachers I thought of Mr. Tanner and had squeezed my hand breaking the glass I was holding. I started picking up the bits of glass from the floor, "I'm so sorry. I didn't... I just..."

Damon pulled me to my feet causing me to drop the bits of glass I had managed to pick up,

"Jessica, do not apologise again. You have done nothing wrong, it's just a glass."

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I opened them when I was calm. Damon was staring down at me, a soft smile on his lips. He took my hand and placed a ring on the ring finger of my right hand. It looked kinda like his, I realised it was a daylight ring. I hugged Bonnie, knowing it was thanks to her.

We sat down again, this time I sat in the chair and Damon sat on the arm of it. I subconsciously leaned towards him and my hand snaked into his. I turned to the group who hadn't missed the way I was sitting. I spoke up,

"I want to stay in Mystic Falls. And yes, I want to stay in school. Hell, I even want to go to college. My mom would come back just to kill me if I didn't finish my education. Plus, I enjoy classes. I'm just afraid in case I..." I couldn't finish the sentence.

They all knew what I was thinking. What if when I went back to school I attacked or killed someone. I couldn't do that again. Stefan was gone in a flash and back just as quick. I had to admit the speed thing, although cool, still kinda freaked me out. He was carrying a hospital blood bag. He handed it to me.

"These should keep your hunger at bay while you're in class," Stefan explained, "and I'll be there if you ever feel your control starting to slip, I can help and so can Caroline."

I looked at the blood bag in my hands and then up at Damon. He just smiled at me, a part of me felt like I could kill everybody in this town and he would just keep smiling at me.

The thought of killing anybody upset me, so I didn't think I could... on purpose anyway. However I did feel a weird powerful thirst in the back of my throat as I thought about it. Suddenly I was very aware of the five beating hearts in the room. I must have been staring at them because I heard Damon speak beside me, "Drink the bag Jessica."

I snapped out of my daze, 8 pairs of eyes watching me. Taking another deep breath I started drinking, I was a bit uncomfortable doing it in front of everybody but I had to admit the relief was instant.

As the others started talking about normal everyday things, such as parties and school dances I let my mind wander. I was thinking about my life now, I did want to stay here and I did want to honor my mother by finishing school and college. I knew if I wanted to Damon would let me live here in the boarding house, but the more I thought about it I realised I wanted my own home.