29. Who am I?

www.facebook.com/JenniferBirdsBooks <-------- Please Like & Share

********************************************************************

I woke up with a groan, the memory of what happened returning gradually. I was lying on a couch in what appeared to be an empty apartment I didn't recognise. I stood up trying to figure where exactly I was when I realised it did not matter; I just had to get out. I needed to find Damon, I would tell him everything... everything I had done since I had turned my screwed up emotions back on. Hopefully he would understand... maybe he could help me... fix me.

I should have done it weeks ago but the fear of how he would react had stopped me. With determination I had not felt in a while coursing through me I headed for the door, but just as I reached for the handle I heard someone approach me from behind.

I turned, fangs extended, poised to attack, only to be faced with Elena smiling a sad smile at me. "If you expect me to apologise for..." my voice trailed off as I looked into the doppelgangers eyes, "You're not Elena." I finished.

The sad smile vanished from her face as she laughed, a cold hard laugh. "He said you were perceptive. Hell, I even fooled the Salvatore's longer than you and they each claim to love Elena." Her grin grew wider at the brief look of pain that covered my features. "That's right..." she added, "You think Damon loves you. Well I'm sorry to tell you sweetie, the only person Damon Salvatore loves is my carbon copy."

"Hello Katherine." I said, my voice taught with anger. In truth it was obvious who she was even if I had never met her before, as I kept my eyes on her I realised what it was that had given her away. Her eyes. They were cold and dark, almost void of emotion... the eyes of a killer, and while I may think Elena is many things, a killer is not one of them.

"Hello Jessica... yes, I know who you are." She replied to my unspoken question. She stood still, watching me, as if she were trying to figure something out.

"Well," I began, inching my way backwards, "it was so lovely to meet you, but I really have to go." I reached once more for door handle behind me but instead found myself on the other side of the room pinned to the wall.

"Sorry, but you're not going anywhere." Katherine said, although she sounded anything but sorry.

I pushed her off me, "I don't even know you. Why are you doing this? I have to get back to..." my voice trailed back as I thought of Damon. Was he worried about me? Was he looking for me?

"Yes," Katherine spoke in a mocking voice, "I'm sure you need to get back to your precious friends who put Elena's life above everybody else's. But unfortunately I have been compelled to keep you here."

I let out a frustrated sigh, "What the hell does he even want from me? And why are you here with him? From what I have heard you and Klaus aren't exactly bosom buddies."

She stepped back, annoyance showing on her face, "Sweetie I would love to be anywhere else right now, of course I've also been compelled to stay within the confines of this apartment."

I let that bit of information sink in, she couldn't leave. "Fine," I stated, "I'm getting a drink." I started walking towards the middle of the room before pausing. "Is there actually anything to drink here?" I asked her over my shoulder.

Katherine threw her eyes upwards as she walked past me towards the kitchenette. I didn't pause in my actions, I quickly reached out and snapped her neck. The original doppelganger fell to the floor in a heap and I sped out of the apartment.

Moments later I was at the boarding house. As I approached it my extra hearing picked up Elena sobbing so I stopped and listened in... could she possibly be this upset over me being taken?