Chapter One: Stuck in the Moment

—-

The fluorescent lights overhead buzzed softly, a stark contrast to the rising tension inside the cramped elevator. Kageyama stood with his back against the cold metal wall, his heart racing—not from fear of being trapped, but from the unexpected closeness of Tsukishima, who was pressed directly against him. The weight of the situation felt oddly intimate, amplifying every little shift of their bodies.

"Great, just great," Tsukishima muttered, his glasses glinting in the harsh light as he adjusted them with a flick of his wrist. He leaned casually against the wall, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "Stuck in a metal box with a bunch of idiots. This is just what I wanted."

Kageyama shot him a glare, but the irritation quickly faded as he tried to navigate the cramped space. Their teammates filled the elevator, packed tightly like sardines. Hinata was practically bouncing with anxiety, his wide eyes darting between the control panel and the others.

"Do you think we'll be stuck here forever?" Hinata's voice quivered, a mix of excitement and fear in his tone.

"Relax, we'll probably get out soon," Ennoshita said, trying to sound reassuring while clearly feeling the tension himself. He was wedged between Tsukishima and Kageyama, his eyes flicking nervously at the elevator's buttons.

"What if we're trapped?" Hinata pressed, clutching Kageyama's arm tightly. "What if we have to spend the night here?"

"Seriously, Hinata?" Tsukishima scoffed, his voice laced with amusement. "The worst that could happen is that you miss your precious sleep. I'm sure you'll survive."

"Not helping, Tsukishima!" Kageyama snapped, feeling the heat rise to his cheeks. The pressure of their bodies pressed together made him acutely aware of how close they truly were.

"Why don't you just—" Kageyama began, but was interrupted as the elevator shook slightly. The lights flickered ominously, and Yamaguchi gasped, his grip tightening on Kageyama's arm.

"Okay, this is seriously freaking me out!" Yamaguchi exclaimed, his eyes wide.

"Stop whining. It's not like we're in any real danger," Tsukishima replied, though Kageyama noticed the edge of uncertainty creeping into his voice.

"Yeah, you say that now, but what if the power goes out?" Hinata chimed in, looking more anxious by the second.

"Then we'd be stuck in the dark. Big deal," Tsukishima replied, though he shifted slightly, as if the idea made him uncomfortable too.

Kageyama could feel the heat radiating from Tsukishima's body against his back, and it was distracting. He tried to concentrate on their surroundings instead. The faint hum of the elevator's machinery was the only sound filling the air, broken only by the muffled voices of his teammates, all trying to keep calm.

"Why can't they just get us out already?" Kageyama muttered under his breath, more to himself than anyone else.

"Maybe they're busy, you know, saving lives?" Tsukishima replied dryly, leaning a little closer. The proximity made Kageyama's heart race even faster, and he couldn't tell if it was annoyance or something else entirely.

"Can't someone do something?" Nishinoya urged, looking back at the control panel as if it might magically resolve their predicament.

"Do you see a manual override in here?" Tsukishima countered, crossing his arms. "We're stuck. It's not like we can just call someone."

As the minutes dragged on, the atmosphere inside the elevator shifted. What had started as annoyance transformed into a strange camaraderie. Kageyama found himself laughing at Tsukishima's quips, the banter easing the tension.

"Okay, I've had enough of this," Hinata said suddenly, his determination flaring. "We need to figure out how to get out of here!"

"By what, banging on the walls?" Tsukishima shot back, amusement playing on his lips.

"Maybe we can signal someone!" Hinata suggested, raising his voice and waving his arms dramatically. "Help! We're stuck!"

"Great idea, Hinata. I'm sure that'll work wonders," Tsukishima replied, rolling his eyes, but the corner of his mouth quirked up in a small smile.

Kageyama watched the exchange, feeling an unexpected warmth toward Tsukishima as they bantered back and forth. For all their rivalry, there was something refreshing about the way they connected amidst the chaos.

As the moments stretched on, Kageyama realized he was stealing glances at Tsukishima more frequently, curious about the glint of mischief in his eyes. It was a strange feeling, but in the suffocating heat of the elevator, something was beginning to shift.

"Okay, let's try to think of something productive," Daichi suggested, trying to regain control of the conversation. "How about we come up with a plan?"

"What plan? We just have to wait until they get us out," Tsukishima replied, but Kageyama sensed the underlying tension in his voice.

"Yeah, but it'll help us stay calm," Hinata added, surprising himself with the suggestion. 

"What are you thi—"

Before he could finish, the elevator lurched again, and the lights flickered ominously. A wave of uncertainty washed over the group, but Kageyama couldn't shake the feeling that this was more than just a simple inconvenience. In this confined space, with their teammates surrounding them, a new connection was starting to form. Instinctively, he reached back and grabbed Tsukishima's arm, seeking a sense of stability in the chaos. Their bodies pressed together, Kageyama's back against Tsukishima's chest, and for the first time, he felt the weight of their rivalry shift into something different—something that might redefine everything he thought he knew about Tsukishima.

"Alright, what's our plan?" Kageyama asked, his eyes sparkling with determination, and Kageyama felt a shift within him, a flicker of hope in the midst of the chaos. Maybe being stuck here wasn't so bad after all.

—-