Chapter Three: Hold On Tight

—-

The laughter still echoed in the cramped elevator, but the moment it lurched violently, it all turned into startled gasps. The lights flickered ominously, and Kageyama's heart raced as the walls shook around them.

"What the—?" he shouted, trying to steady himself as panic surged through him.

"Fantastic," Tsukishima deadpanned, arms crossed, his usual calm demeanor seemingly unaffected. "Just what we needed."

Kageyama barely heard him, too focused on the growing dread.

"Everyone, brace yourselves!" Daichi said. 

As the elevator jolted again, Kageyama instinctively grabbed Tsukishima's arm, pulling him closer. "Hold on!"

"Wow, great plan, Kageyama! Really impressive," Tsukishima replied, a hint of sarcasm in his voice. "Do you really think this is going to save us?"

"Shut up!" Kageyama snapped, his hands trembling as he clutched Tsukishima's arm. 

The rest of the team laughed nervously, but Kageyama could feel his heart pounding in his chest. Each jolt made it harder for him to think straight, and panic crept in as he struggled to keep his balance.

When the elevator lurched again, Kageyama felt his knees weaken, feeling lightheaded as fear surged through him.

"Whoa, hold on!" Tsukishima said, surprisingly quick to react. He grabbed Kageyama by the shoulders, steadying him as annoyance mingled with something softer in his eyes. "Stop moving around like that. You're going to fall."

Kageyama shot him a glare, but relief washed over him from Tsukishima's unexpected support. "I'm not! I just—" he stammered, his voice shaking.

"Sure, keep telling yourself that," Tsukishima said, rolling his eyes but maintaining his grip. "Just try to breathe. We're not going to die in an elevator."

Kageyama could feel his breath quickening, and suddenly the tight space felt even smaller. The laughter from the others faded into a distant hum as the panic intensified. He started to tremble, the world around him blurring.

Tsukishima noticed the change instantly. "King!" he said sharply, his tone shifting from sarcastic to serious. Without thinking, he pulled Kageyama into a hug, wrapping his arms around him. "Hey, it's okay. Just breathe."

Kageyama froze for a moment, surprised by the unexpected closeness. But as Tsukishima rubbed his back in slow, soothing motions, he felt the tension begin to ease. It was strange, being held like this, but it grounded him.

"Just focus on my voice," Tsukishima said quietly, his grip firm but gentle. "Inhale... and exhale."

Kageyama took a shaky breath, trying to match Tsukishima's rhythm. He could feel the warmth radiating from the blond, a comforting presence amid the chaos. He stayed still, feeling the safety in Tsukishima's embrace, allowing himself to relax, if only just a little.

"There you go," Tsukishima encouraged, continuing to rub Kageyama's back. "You're alright. We're going to get out of here."

As Kageyama followed Tsukishima's lead, his breathing began to slow. The panic that had gripped him started to fade, replaced by a sense of calm that he hadn't expected to find in such a dire situation.

"Thanks," Kageyama finally managed, his voice a little steadier now.

"Just don't make a habit of this," Tsukishima replied, though the hint of a smile played at the corners of his mouth. "I'm not your emotional support animal."

Kageyama rolled his eyes, but he felt grateful for the unexpected support. In that cramped elevator, amid the chaos, he realized that maybe this experience was forging a connection he hadn't anticipated.

"Yeah, yeah," Kageyama replied, feeling lighter. "Just... keep holding on for a bit, alright?"

"Fine, but only because you're such a mess," Tsukishima said with mock annoyance, but there was a softness in his voice that made Kageyama smile.

"You guys should get married," said Nishinoya

"You both would make a cute couple," Tanaka spouted

"The fuck?" Tsukishima said offended

The rest of the team was watching them with wide eyes, some whispering quietly. Hinata, practically glued to Kageyama's side, looked on with concern. "What if we're stuck here forever?!"

"Relax! I'm ok," Kageyama said, trying to sound confident, though he was still shaking.

"Of course you are," Tsukishima added, his voice dripping with sarcasm. 

Kageyama shot him a frustrated look, but despite the fear still coursing through him, he felt a strange sense of solidarity with Tsukishima. Maybe their bickering was a way to cope with the ridiculousness of the situation, and he found himself oddly comforted by it.

As the elevator settled into a tense silence, Kageyama focused on Tsukishima, who seemed to have adopted a resigned expression. "Thanks," Kageyama mumbled, trying to keep his voice steady. "For, you know, not letting me fall and helping me breathe."

"Don't mention it," Tsukishima replied, his tone light but his grip still steady. "Just try not to embarrass yourself any further."

With their bodies pressed close in the dim light, Kageyama couldn't help but feel that maybe, in this absurd situation, he wasn't alone after all.

—-