Chapter Five: Coach Ukai to the Rescue

---

As the elevator continued to sway slightly, Kageyama and Tsukishima remained huddled together, the tension slowly dissipating. The rest of the team, still buzzing with nervous energy, watched the two with a mix of concern and curiosity.

Suddenly, a loud ding echoed through the confined space, jolting everyone's attention. Kageyama's heart raced again, but this time it was from a rush of hope. "What was that?" he asked, pulling away slightly from Tsukishima, who let go reluctantly.

"Maybe they're finally rescuing us," Tsukishima replied, raising an eyebrow. "Or we're about to plummet to our doom. Either way, great."

"Don't say that!" Hinata exclaimed, clinging tightly to Yamaguchi. "We're getting out of here, right?"

Just then, the lights flickered, and the elevator jolted one last time before coming to a halt. The metallic doors slowly creaked open, revealing a group of concerned faces on the other side.

"Karasuno!" Coach Ukai shouted, relief washing over him as he stepped forward. "Are you all okay?"

"Yeah, we're fine!" Daichi called back.

As the doors opened wider, the team rushed out, eager to escape the confines of the elevator. Kageyama stepped out last, feeling the cool air of the hallway wash over him. He looked back at Tsukishima, who was lingering a moment longer.

"Hey," Tsukishima said, a rare seriousness in his tone. "You did alright back there. Just... don't freak out next time, okay?"

Kageyama nodded, a faint smile breaking through his usual stern demeanor. "Thanks for... you know, helping."

"Don't mention it," Tsukishima replied, adjusting his glasses with a hint of a smirk. "I'm still going to tease you about it, though."

"Of course you will," Kageyama said, rolling his eyes but feeling lighter.

As the team regrouped in the hallway, Daichi began to check everyone off, making sure everyone was accounted for. "Alright, let's take a minute to catch our breath. We'll head back to the gym once everyone's ready."

"Did you really think we were going to die in there?" Asahi asked, still looking a bit pale but relieved.

"Yeah! It was terrifying!" Hinata chimed in, glancing back at the elevator. "I thought we were going to be stuck forever!"

"More like 'elevator legends,'" Tsukishima quipped, and the team burst into laughter, the tension from before dissipating completely.

As they gathered in a circle, Kageyama found himself standing next to Tsukishima once again. Despite their usual banter, there was an unspoken understanding between them now—a shared experience that had shifted something in their dynamic.

"Okay, okay, listen up," Daichi said, bringing everyone's attention back. "Let's just be glad we're out. Next time, we're taking the stairs."

"Ugh, no thanks," Kageyama said, crossing his arms. "I'd rather risk getting stuck in an elevator than deal with that."

"Typical Kageyama," Tsukishima said, smirking. "Always looking for the easy way out."

Kageyama shot him a glare, but he couldn't help the small grin that crept onto his face. "Shut up!"

As they continued to joke and tease each other, Kageyama realized that maybe this experience had been more than just a scary moment; it had opened a door to a different kind of friendship. One that was messy and complicated, but somehow felt right.

And for the first time in a long while, Kageyama felt hopeful about what was to come.

---