Chapter Eleven: Milk Carton

—-

As the excitement of their ghost-hunting mission resumed, the Karasuno team scattered once more, determined to find whatever mysterious entity had invaded their gathering. The living room was a mix of giggles and hushed whispers as they tiptoed around, flashlights illuminating the dark corners.

"Let's check the kitchen!" Hinata exclaimed, leading the charge with Yamaguchi right behind him.

"Why does the kitchen need to be checked? Are ghosts known to cook?" Tsukishima quipped, rolling his eyes but following along nonetheless.

"Maybe they're trying to scare us with burnt toast!" Tanaka replied, trying to keep the mood light.

Kageyama stayed close to Tsukishima, still feeling the remnants of anxiety from being locked in the garage. His heart raced a bit too quickly, and he struggled to keep his thoughts focused on the ridiculousness of the situation.

After about ten minutes of searching, complete with exaggerated ghost noises from Tanaka and Nishinoya, they regrouped in the living room, still no closer to finding their supposed ghost.

"Okay, guys, I think we should take a break. If we keep this up, I might start believing there's a ghost too," Kageyama finally said, his voice steadying.

"Good idea," Tsukishima said, smirking. "Besides, it's not like a ghost is going to reveal itself just because we're yelling at it."

With a collective sigh, the group began to disperse, some heading for snacks while others flopped onto the couch. Kageyama, feeling slightly overwhelmed, quietly slipped away to the kitchen.

He opened the fridge, searching for something to settle his nerves when Tsukishima walked in behind him, a mischievous grin on his face. "What are you doing? Trying to summon the ghost with your milk?"

Kageyama shot him a look. "Shut up."

"Let me guess, you're out of every other food but milk?" Tsukishima teased, rummaging through the fridge. He spotted the assorted milk cartons and chuckled. "You seriously have a problem."

"Whatever," Kageyama huffed, but he felt a small smile tugging at his lips.

Without missing a beat, Tsukishima pulled out a carton of chocolate milk and set it on the counter. "Here, drink this. It'll help you calm down." He opened the box of milk, handing it to Kageyama.

"Thanks," Kageyama muttered, taking a sip. The sweet taste was comforting, and he could feel the tension in his shoulders easing a bit.

After finishing the drink, Kageyama felt a wave of sleepiness wash over him. Tsukishima noticed the way his eyelids drooped and raised an eyebrow. "You should go to sleep. I'll stay up for a bit, just in case."

Kageyama nodded, grateful for the gesture. "You don't have to do that."

"I know," Tsukishima replied with a shrug. "But, I don't want you to be up by yourself after what happened in the garage."

With a small smile, Kageyama felt warmth blooming in his chest as he made his way back to the living room. He noticed the pink circular volleyball plushie with little arms and legs that had somehow made its way into the pile of blankets. It looked utterly ridiculous, but something about it made him feel safer.

He settled down on the couch, cuddling the plushie close as he lay down, the soft fabric easing his anxiety. Tsukishima plopped down beside him, ready to keep watch.

The rest of the team continued to chatter and joke around, but Kageyama felt the exhaustion pulling him under. With the plushie tucked snugly against his chest and the sound of his friends' laughter surrounding him, he drifted into a peaceful sleep.

Tsukishima stayed awake, eyes flickering between the lively atmosphere and Kageyama's serene face. He made sure Kageyama was resting peacefully before allowing himself to relax, leaning back against the couch, satisfied that his teammate was okay.

The night stretched on, filled with soft sounds of laughter and warmth, a comforting reminder that no matter how chaotic life could be, they were all in this together.

—-