Chapter 9: Breaking Point

The tension between Engfa and Charlotte had reached its peak. No matter how hard they tried to push it aside, it followed them, weighing down even their quietest moments. Charlotte knew that this couldn’t go on. If she didn’t confront her feelings soon, they would drown in the silence that had grown between them.

One evening, after yet another long day at work, Engfa came home to find Charlotte sitting on the edge of the bed, her hands clasped tightly in her lap. There was a look in Charlotte’s eyes—one that Engfa couldn’t ignore any longer.

"Engfa, we need to talk," Charlotte said softly, her voice steady but filled with emotion.

Engfa’s heart dropped. She could hear the seriousness in Charlotte’s tone, and she knew this conversation was inevitable. She just hadn’t expected it to happen tonight.

"Okay," Engfa said, sitting down beside her. "What’s on your mind?"

Charlotte looked down at her hands, taking a deep breath before speaking. "I’ve been trying to hold it in for a while, but… I can’t anymore. Engfa, I feel like I’m losing you."

Engfa’s eyes widened in shock. "Losing me? Charlotte, I—"

"Let me finish," Charlotte interrupted gently, her voice soft but firm. "I know your job is important, and I’ve tried to be understanding. But it feels like we’re drifting apart. And it’s not just about work. It’s… Mai. I see the way she looks at you, the way she acts around you. And even though you’ve told me there’s nothing going on, I can’t help but feel… threatened."

Engfa’s heart sank as she listened to Charlotte’s words, realizing just how deeply her girlfriend had been hurting. She had been so focused on her career, on keeping everything together at the company, that she hadn’t noticed the cracks forming in her relationship. She hadn’t noticed how much Charlotte had been struggling with her feelings.

"Char, I didn’t know you felt this way," Engfa said softly, reaching for Charlotte’s hand. "I never wanted you to feel like you weren’t a priority. You are, I swear. I’ve just been so caught up with work, and I thought… I thought you understood."

Charlotte looked up at her, her eyes glistening with unshed tears. "I do understand. But understanding doesn’t make it hurt any less."

Engfa felt her chest tighten, guilt settling in. She had been so blind, so oblivious to how much her actions—or lack of them—had been affecting the woman she loved.

"I’m sorry," Engfa whispered, her voice cracking. "I never wanted to hurt you."

Charlotte squeezed her hand, her own voice shaky. "I know. But we can’t keep going like this. I feel like we’re both pretending everything’s okay when it’s not. And if we don’t fix this, Engfa… I don’t know if we’ll make it."

Engfa’s heart pounded in her chest. The thought of losing Charlotte, of losing everything they had built together, terrified her. But as much as she wanted to fix things, she didn’t know how to balance her responsibilities at work with her relationship. It felt like she was being pulled in two different directions, and she was afraid she wouldn’t be able to do both.

"Tell me what I need to do," Engfa pleaded, her voice raw. "I don’t want to lose you, Char. You’re my everything."

Charlotte’s gaze softened, but the pain was still there, etched into every word. "I just need you to be present, Engfa. I need to feel like I matter, like we matter. I know your work is important, but if we don’t make time for each other, if we don’t communicate… we’re going to lose what we have."

Engfa nodded, her throat tight with emotion. "I’ll do better. I’ll talk to Mai again, make sure there’s no room for misunderstandings. And I’ll cut back on the late nights at the office. I don’t want you to feel like you’re second to anything."

Charlotte looked at her for a long moment, as if searching for something in Engfa’s eyes—hope, reassurance, love. And when she found it, her shoulders relaxed just a little.

"I don’t want to lose you either," Charlotte whispered, her voice barely audible.

Engfa pulled her into a tight embrace, holding her as if she could physically keep their love from slipping away. "You won’t," she whispered into Charlotte’s hair. "We’ll get through this. I promise."

---

For the next few weeks, Engfa made a conscious effort to be more present, to spend more time with Charlotte, and to cut back on her work hours. She talked to Mai again, this time making it clear that her behavior was inappropriate and that their relationship was strictly professional. Mai, though still friendly, backed off, and Charlotte felt a sense of relief knowing that Engfa had taken her concerns seriously.

But despite Engfa’s efforts, the cracks in their relationship weren’t so easily healed. The wounds of insecurity and jealousy didn’t fade overnight, and both women found themselves treading carefully around each other, afraid of reopening old wounds.

---

One night, after a rare quiet evening together, Engfa and Charlotte were sitting on the balcony, sipping tea and watching the city lights twinkle in the distance.

"It’s been nice, having you home more," Charlotte said, leaning her head against Engfa’s shoulder.

Engfa smiled softly, wrapping her arm around Charlotte’s waist. "I’ve missed this. Just being with you."

Charlotte smiled, but there was still a trace of something in her voice—something unsaid. "Do you ever worry… that we’re not the same anymore?"

Engfa’s heart skipped a beat at the question. "What do you mean?"

Charlotte sighed, pulling away slightly to look at Engfa. "I mean… we’ve been through a lot. The jealousy, the distance, the stress. I can’t help but wonder if we’ve changed, if we’re not as close as we used to be."

Engfa frowned, her chest tightening. "We’ve changed," she admitted quietly. "But that doesn’t mean we’re not close anymore. It just means we’ve grown. We’re stronger now because we’ve faced these things together."

Charlotte searched Engfa’s eyes, her own filled with uncertainty. "Do you really believe that?"

"I do," Engfa said firmly, taking Charlotte’s hands in hers. "We’ve been through so much, but we’re still here. That has to mean something."

Charlotte’s lips curved into a small, tentative smile. "Yeah. I guess you’re right."

They sat in silence for a few moments, the cool breeze brushing against their skin as they watched the world move around them. And in that quiet, they found a sense of peace—a reminder that even though they had faced their first real challenge as a couple, they were still standing. Still together.

---