Chapter 10: Surprise

The sun had just begun to set, casting a golden hue over the city as Engfa stood in front of her bedroom mirror, adjusting the sleeves of her shirt. Tonight was important. After weeks of reconnecting, rebuilding, and healing from the tension that had come between them, Engfa wanted to show Charlotte just how much she meant to her.

And she had the perfect surprise planned.

Engfa looked at her reflection, taking a deep breath. She wanted everything to be perfect—every detail carefully considered. She glanced at her phone, checking the time. Charlotte would be arriving soon, and Engfa felt the familiar flutter of excitement in her chest. She hadn’t felt this way in a long time, not since the early days of their relationship, and it made her realize just how far they had come.

With one final glance at herself, Engfa grabbed the small box on her dresser and slipped it into her pocket. Tonight was about Charlotte—about showing her just how beautiful, loved, and cherished she was.

---

Charlotte arrived home from work, expecting a quiet night in. But as soon as she stepped through the door, she noticed something was different. The lights were dimmed, and a soft, romantic melody was playing in the background. Candles flickered on the dining table, casting a warm glow over the room.

Her heart skipped a beat as she glanced around, her eyes widening in surprise. "Engfa?"

Just then, Engfa appeared from the kitchen, a playful smile on her face. She was dressed casually but beautifully, with an air of confidence and affection that made Charlotte’s breath catch.

"Welcome home, my love," Engfa said, stepping forward to take Charlotte’s hand. "I hope you’re hungry. I’ve prepared something special."

Charlotte’s smile lit up the room, her heart swelling with affection. "What’s all this?"

Engfa leaned down and pressed a gentle kiss to her forehead. "Just a little something to show you how much I love you. You’ve been so patient with me, Char. I wanted to make tonight about you."

Charlotte’s cheeks flushed as she followed Engfa to the table, taking in the sight of the beautifully arranged dinner. It wasn’t extravagant, but it was perfect—an intimate setting just for the two of them.

"You didn’t have to do all this," Charlotte said softly, her voice filled with emotion.

Engfa pulled out a chair for her, her eyes shining with love. "I wanted to. You deserve this, and so much more."

As they sat down to dinner, Charlotte couldn’t help but steal glances at Engfa, her heart filled with warmth. The weight that had hung over them for weeks seemed to have lifted, and for the first time in a long while, Charlotte felt truly at ease.

They laughed, they talked, and they reminisced about the moments that had brought them closer. Engfa’s hand never strayed far from Charlotte’s, her touch a constant reminder of the love that still burned between them.

As they finished dessert, Engfa leaned back in her chair, watching Charlotte with an affectionate smile. "I have one more surprise for you."

Charlotte raised an eyebrow, curiosity sparking in her eyes. "Another surprise? Engfa, this night is already perfect."

Engfa stood up and walked over to Charlotte’s side, pulling her to her feet. Without a word, she led Charlotte to the balcony, where the city lights stretched out before them like a sea of stars. The night air was cool, but Engfa’s warmth made Charlotte feel like she was wrapped in a blanket of love.

They stood in silence for a moment, gazing out at the view. Then, Engfa turned to face Charlotte, reaching into her pocket to retrieve the small box she had been carrying all evening.

"Charlotte," Engfa began, her voice soft but steady, "I know I haven’t always been the best at showing you how much I care. I know we’ve had our rough moments. But through it all, you’ve been there for me—supporting me, loving me, and never giving up on us."

Charlotte’s eyes widened as she looked down at the box in Engfa’s hand, her heart racing.

"I don’t have all the answers, and I’m still learning how to balance everything in my life. But there’s one thing I’m absolutely certain of." Engfa’s voice grew more tender as she opened the box, revealing a delicate necklace with a heart-shaped pendant. "You’re the most important person to me, Charlotte. My beautiful girlfriend. And I want to spend the rest of my life making you feel as loved as you make me feel."

Tears welled up in Charlotte’s eyes as she gazed at the necklace, her emotions overwhelming her. "Engfa…"

Engfa smiled, reaching up to gently clasp the necklace around Charlotte’s neck. "I love you more than words can say. And I want to make sure you never forget that."

Charlotte touched the pendant, her heart swelling with love. "It’s beautiful. But you didn’t have to do this, Engfa. I already know how much you love me."

Engfa cupped Charlotte’s face in her hands, her eyes filled with nothing but adoration. "I know. But sometimes, I think it’s important to remind you—because you’re everything to me, Char."

Unable to hold back any longer, Charlotte wrapped her arms around Engfa, pulling her into a deep, heartfelt kiss. The world seemed to fade away as their lips met, the warmth and love between them erasing any lingering doubts or fears.

When they finally pulled apart, both women were smiling, their foreheads resting against each other.

"I love you too, Engfa," Charlotte whispered, her voice soft but full of emotion. "More than anything."

Engfa’s heart soared as she held Charlotte close, the weight of the past few months lifting completely. They had been through so much, but in this moment, all that mattered was the love they shared.

Together, they stood on the balcony, holding each other tightly as the city sparkled beneath them—a beautiful reminder that sometimes, the most important thing in the world was simply being together.

---