School Day (Chapter 12 Part 1) {Arc 1: Nephelomancy}

The worm attack at the Nohga Hotel happened at 3:17 AM.

By 4 AM, two detectives were on the scene, picking their way through the rubble.

Detective Juichi Sodai, and his new partner Sugimura.

_--{}--_

Y/n stepped through the doors of Satozakura High School, tugging uncomfortably at the starched white collar of his uniform shirt. The black pants were a touch too short, riding up to expose white socks whenever he took a step. You'd think with the amount of money the school shells out, they could at least get the sizing right.

It had only been a month since Y/n last set foot in a "normal" school, but it felt like a lifetime ago. Amazing how quickly one adapts to life outside the educational industrial complex, he mused.

But Y/n wasn't here to take a stroll down memory lane. Somewhere in this labyrinthine building was Junpei Yoshino, the man Y/n had been tasked with tracking down. Intel was sparse, knowing nothing more than his appearance and his location dropped by the man who called himself Geto. But it was enough to set Y/n on the scent, landing him here, undercover.

The crumpled class schedule from the office pointed him towards the history wing for first period. Room 202.

Now while, Y/n knew next to nothing about Junpei. One look at Junpei's yearbook photo and Y/n had the boy pegged. Call it the heightened perception of the chronically bullied. But he'd bet his entire collection of manga that come lunchtime, he'd find Junpei on the receiving end of some kind of bullying behind the gym or up on the school's tar-paper roof.

Through and through, Junpei was the kind of kid who was born to be a victim. The kind of kid who might be tempted by the dark promises of a man like Geto.

Y/n meandered down the hallway, past corkboard displays of student art and faded posters for last semester's musical, mentally cataloguing every mop closet and exit route.

He had some idea on how he'd handle this. Locate the subject. Gain his trust. Bring him into the fold before anything could happen to him. Simple in theory. A hell of a lot thornier in practice.

Y/n took a deep breath, the smell of chalk dust and industrial cleaner filling his nostrils. He adjusted his itchy colar, straightened his shirt and slid open the door.

Twenty-eight pairs of eyes locked onto him like laser sights. Some curious, some wary, some outright hostile. The teacher, a worn-out looking man in a rumpled suit, squinted at Y/n in confusion.

"Uh... hello?" he spoke wearily. He had the air of a minor league pitcher ten years past his prime, going through the motions on pure muscle memory.

Y/n bowed low at the waist, a picture of respectful contrition. "I'm a new student. Sorry to intrude."

"A new student? But... it's the middle of the semester..." The teacher sighed, running a hand over his thinning hair. "And, well, we don't really have a spare seat, so..."

Y/n scanned the room, searching for any desk that Junpei would occupy. Nothing.

"Teacher, he can sit here!" a girl's voice rang out. Y/n's eyes snapped to the source. A pretty girl with bleached hair and a face full of makeup was patting the empty half of her chair, a mischievous smile playing on her glossy lips. Muffled snickers spread through the classroom.

Y/n's eyes narrowed. It was clear what kind of girl she was, the kind that collected boys like trophies. The queen bee, or maybe one of her lieutenants. Exactly the type of girl he hated.