CHAPTER 21

_KHALIL_

Because of how tired I was, I had dispersed everyone away with money. Weddings aren't for me, the stress itself alone is something else.

Bashir was driving us to the house while I was at the back seat with Ilham sleeping beside me.

My eyes looking out of the window, it's raining and the road despite it being almost midnight is partially active. I kept looking outside of the window with my mind roaming somewhere far away from reality.

I snapped back to my sane reality when I felt a light weight on my shoulder, I immediately tense.

My head tilted to see Ilham's head leaning on my shoulder, her light snores following the rise and fall of her chest.

I tensed even more when she snuggled into my shoulder as she continues to sleep. I did not care to wake her up as I let her sleep in peace while I turned my head to continue staring out of the window.

"Drive faster Bashir." I ordered annoyed at how awfully slow he is driving the car right now. He knows I normally drive fast, then why is he being slow.

"Gen. I'm being careful because the madam is sleeping—" He said looking at me apologetically through the front mirror.

I turned from looking out the window to glaring at his face through the front mirror.
"Do you care about the madam more than me?" I asked wondering how my own words sounded. I still found his previous words offensive, very offensive.

"I'm very sorry Gen, that's not what I meant." He began apologizing, sweats tricking his forehead as I glare at his eyes through the front mirror even more.

"Save your sorry for later, now drive faster." I said.

Our small talk somehow managed to wake the girl on my shoulder as I felt her shift uncomfortably. She removed her head from my shoulder and sat upright then spoke proving to me that she has been awake long enough to hear our conversation.

"Drive slowly." She said to the Bashir who I am sure felt confuse on wether to follow my rule or to follow my wife's rule. He should know better.

When Bashir continued to drive fast, she frowned and turned to face me with an expression on her face that lies somewhere between anger and confusion.

"I might vomit." She admitted.

I was quick to command him to drive slowly because I am definitely not ready to have someone vomiting in the car because of speed. I cringe.

She smiled and leaned back, a clear mischief on her face that told me that she's lying. She doesn't have those vomiting issues due to high speed. I let it slide.

It only took a few minutes for her to start touching her ear lobes, I looked at her confused at her behavior. It was only after a few seconds that I realized that the girl's other earring is missing and she only has one on now.

She looked at me, her eyes searching my personal space before it landed on my shoulders. Then she began to turn red.

I looked down to my shoulders realizing what is making her cheeks tinted. Her earring was on the fabric of my shoulder, probably got stuck when she was snuggling into my shoulder.

I pulled it out and gave it to her. With her eyes looking down, she collected it and began fidgeting with her hands as she tries to put it on.

I looked away outside the window once again, I fisted my hands so that it won't act without my consent and help her with the earring.

If only she could allow Bashir to drive fast, then we would have reached nassarawa G.R.A area of Kano where the new house is based. But the damn girl somehow just wants us to be slow.

Bashir used a small handkerchief to wipe away the sweats on his forehead, his fear of getting fired is understandable.

He came with his brother to work for me when I needed two more drivers, but his brother was just too inconvenient so I fired him straight away. Perhaps the trauma is still on him.

I felt relieved when he pulled up at the gate waiting for the gateman to open the door for him before he entered inside.

The house is as huge as my parents own, I saw it online a few days ago and I just thought of buying it, and so I did. It's a homey storey building with an imported furnitures inside.

The gardens in the house adds to it neutrality, and of course the gymnastics room I insisted on having is there. There is a pool right behind the house.

I got off the car and went inside while Ilham followed behind me. Her steps small and her eyes half closed, this girl might just bump into something if she's not careful.

I went upstairs straight to the master bedroom and claimed it seeing both my stuffs and her stuffs inside. Then went into the bathroom to shower and freshen up.

________________________________

Seena