Chapter 24: Rivals, Justice, and Change

---------

City of Shang Mu – Streets of Shang Mu, Morning Hours

The streets of Shang Mu were engulfed in chaos. Smoke billowed from shattered buildings, while the terrified cries of citizens echoed through the city. Some ran wildly through the streets, desperate to escape the destruction. Others huddled inside their homes, cowering as the deafening sounds of explosions and crumbling structures reverberated through the air.

Amidst the chaos, a white-furred fox woman peered cautiously from the window of her small apartment. Her heart ached at the devastation raining down upon her beloved city. The tremors from nearby explosions shook her building, and despite her fear, she leaned closer to the window, drawn by the sounds of something massive approaching. With trembling hands, she opened the window, daring to peek outside.

She gasped loudly, her eyes widening in terror.

Before her, a towering mechanical beast—a monstrous, golden, cat-like machine—stormed through the streets. Its enormous metal paws gouged deep scars into the asphalt with each step, and its glowing red eye scanned the destruction with cold indifference. Flattening everything in its path. Windows shattered, streetlights toppled like twigs, and entire buildings collapsed in its wake.

As she watched in horror, she saw two figures atop the beast. In one cockpit, on the back, sat Robotnik, his face gleaming with triumph. In the other, on the head of the beast, was Serpentine, his eyes alight with malicious glee as the Robo-Panther's tail lashed out, tearing through a nearby structure with ease.

The fox woman's heart raced as the beast's tail whipped in her direction. She screamed, ducking inside just as the tail struck the side of her apartment complex with a devastating blow. The impact was catastrophic—her entire building shook violently, chunks of the structure crumbling around her.

"Ahhhhhh!" she screamed, her voice drowned out by the sound of her home collapsing. The fox woman found herself falling, her body plunging toward the streets below. Her life flashed before her eyes. Time seemed to slow down, and all she could see was the ground rushing up to meet her.

But before she could hit the ground, a blue blur swept in from the chaos, catching her in midair with ease.

"Gotcha!" Sonic's confident voice reassured her as he cradled her safely in his arms. The woman blinked, her breath hitching as she realized she wasn't falling anymore. She opened her eyes to the sight of the blue hedgehog, his spiky quills highlighted by the morning sun.

He set her down gently, giving her a reassuring smile. "You okay?" he asked, his tone light, though his eyes quickly scanned the surrounding destruction.

The fox woman, still in shock from what had just happened, trying to steady herself before nodding. "Y-yes, thank you, darling!" she stammered, her voice trembling with relief.

Sonic's smile widened. "No problem," he said with a playful wink. "Gotta go, though—big metal cat on the loose!" He gave her a quick salute, then dashed off, becoming a blur as he sped away from the scene.

"W-wait!" the fox called out after him, but it was too late. Sonic had already disappeared into the distance, leaving behind a streak of blue light. She was about to turn away when, with a gust of wind, Sonic suddenly reappeared in front of her.

"Quick question!" Sonic said, startling the fox woman. "Do you know of a place nearby that's wide open and clear of buildings? You know, somewhere that can take a bit of action without, y'know... collateral damage?"