Often Deceiving

Chapter Four

Often Deceiving

            “Honey, you’re driving Kayla to the hospital tomorrow,” Mom stated during dinner, which happened to be one of those awkward family nights we haven’t had in forever, meaning no TV, no texting, no escape. Noah hadn’t returned from where ever the hell he went, so he got to avoid this torture.

            Dad sighed. “Can’t. I’m going in early for work. I can pick her up from there if you want.” Did it ever occur to them that it was pointless to speak of me in third person when I was sitting right next to them?

Mom shook her head. “That’s not what I’m worried about. It’s the ride there. I don’t think Noah is exactly in agreement.” Mom gave me a pointed expression. “Can you take the bus?”

            “Mom, no bus goes near that hospital.” I wasn’t even sure if that was a lie or the truth, but from where I stood, passengers weren’t exactly lining up in front of the Charity Hospital.

            “Well, can’t you–” Mom stopped and frowned then, everyone knowing what she was about to say. Can’t you ask one of your friends for a ride? Of course, the word friend being Todd was something my mom wouldn’t overlook. She pressed her lips together, biting the inside of her mouth.

            Dad looked up. “Katelyn, why don’t you just–”

            “She’s grounded Tom, you know that,” Mom’s obvious use of “Tom” alone said she was upset. Dad was Tommy to everyone he was friends with, especially my mother. She only used Tom when she was the Big Boss in our house. “Plus, I won’t have him taking her back on that thing,” she added, and I suddenly remembered Todd’s cousin had bought Todd a car on his last birthday; the vehicle we often made out in.

I cut into the conversation. “I’ll tell Todd to bring a car,” I stated, and both my parents turned to me. Todd hardly ever drove the Hummer, mainly because he preferred his motorcycle.

            “Todd has a car?” Dad asked.

            “I don’t like the idea of him using his parents ride to and from work,” Mom quickly assumed.

            “No, Todd has his own car,” I said. For better measure, I added, “In fact, I’m pretty sure he can pay for gas himself, with the whole part time job and all.” Okay, maybe I was promoting Todd a little too much.

Mom’s eyes narrowed. “You mean the job his parents gave him.”

            “Alright, then Kayla. Why don’t you go upstairs and ask Todd about that ride?” Dad suddenly suggested, feeling the tension begin to rise. I ran up the staircase and to my room, in time to hear my mom say, “And why did you just do that?”

            I quickly texted Todd, who replied within moments.

            Wat? U arent busted?

            Dad came @ just the rite time :)

            Cool. Wanna do something tomorrow?

            Sorry, moms gone psycho. I kinda need a ride to work tomorro tho. Not the bike, the hummer.

            He took a bit longer to respond this time.

            Y

            Mom refuses to let me on, remember? Think u can get me?