Sick Day

Chapter Twelve

Sick Day

            “Its kind of ironic, don’t you think?”

            “Shut up, Noah.”

            I laid down in bed, shutting my eyes to get the dizzy feeling out of my head. Why did this have to happen, why now?

            “I mean, you work at a hospital helping sick people, yet here you are, sick yourself.”

            I managed to crane my head and glare at Noah before fierce pounding started in my temples again. God, I hate this.

            I had woken up this morning to my phone buzzing with about a dozen text messages and calls from Todd. He had been trying to contact me all night –Noah even said he called the home phone– and I found that sweet. What I didn’t find charming was when I did answer and Todd literally cussed in my ear, making my headache even worse. I had slept through all his calls because I was so sick I explained to him and he believed me. I mean, who wouldn’t believe a nasal voice?

            Sighing, I tried sitting up, wrapping the blanket even closer to myself. Funny, it had to be eighty degrees outside yet I was shivering.

            “Easy there.” Noah came to my side, holding an arm out as if I were going to fall back. “Mom warned you if you took two jobs you’d work yourself out.”

            “I’m fine,” I hissed, my head aching. At this point, I don’t know what annoyed me more. Noah, this headache, or the beer I drank last night. I could still taste the awful stuff on my tongue. “I don’t need your help.”

            I grabbed my phone, trying to think of the hospital’s number again, but I shook so violently that I couldn’t keep the thing firm in my hand or even steady enough to see the keys.

            Noah grabbed it out of my hands. “I don’t think texting Todd is the best thing at the moment.”

            “I wasn’t going to!” I barked back. In a quieter voice, I said, “I was just going to call the hospital and tell them I’m sick.” I sniffled.

            “Dad already did that.” Noah put my phone on the dresser, a good distance away from my bed. “The woman even said she wanted to come over and check up on you.”

            “Oh my God!” I screeched. Ms. Farrell at my house? Kill me. “Please don’t tell me Dad humored her and said yes.”

            “Nah.” I felt every muscle in my body relax at once. Noah grinned. “Got an admirer?”

            “That woman is nuts.” I shivered. “She’s so freaking happy like…like someone freaking happy.”

            Noah laughed at that. “Maybe she can change your negativity.”

            “Doubt it.”

            The walls started spinning so much that sunk back into the bed. I must have drifted off longer than I thought since Noah was gone.

            “Feeling better?”

            I must have jumped three feet in the air because suddenly I was standing next to my bed and pointing at accusing finger at Anthony. Anthony, in my bedroom.

            “What did you…how did you?!” I couldn’t even form a coherent sentence. Too many things rushed at me at once.

            Anthony tilted his head to the side, only a smile replaced his usual bewildered expression. “Having fun?”