Life is Like a Bad Sitcom

Chapter Eight

Life is Like a Bad Sitcom

            “A meeting?”

            Tami shook her head, guiding me down the hall. “Yup. We usually don’t have many meetings. Its just to check up on the newbies.” She smiled.

            “Who are the newbies?” I asked when we arrived in a small room crowded with chairs.

            “Oh, just you.”

            “Well, everyone’s here,” Ms. Farrell exclaimed when we walked into the room.

            I blinked. “Seriously?”

            It was the same four other people I had seen from orientation. For some reason I had built up in my mind that the other volunteer kids had ditched the beginning or something. I never imagined it was literally just us.

            “This is…it?” I whispered to Tami.

            She nodded. “Yeah, each year we have less and less volunteer kids and hardly any new ones. You the first new recruit in a while.”

            This was seriously it? It was kind of sad.

            Ms. Farrell continued. “We’re here to check up on everyone’s progress and answer any questions.” She looked at me. “So, Kayla. How was your first two weeks?”

            I felt put on the spot and I could swear I heard Sage give out a snort.

            I glared. “Peachy.”

            After the meeting, I walked back to Anthony’s room to find –surprise, surprise – he wasn’t there. I sighed, digging into my bag to pull out the packet of questions I had since ignored from the start of the program. I flipped through the pages, feeling rather intimidated.

            I had only two more months to find this all out about Anthony. How was I going to bluff my way through this one?

            There was the small breeze of air as the door opened, and Anthony appeared with a black cloth bag in his hand. I raised my eyebrow as he ignored my existence, pulling the chain of a silver necklace from underneath his shirt; at the end hung a small key.

            “What’s in the bag?” I asked as he unlocked the cabinet and gently tossed the bag inside.

            “Nothing.” He locked the cabinet, before putting the necklace back around his neck, under his shirt.

            Our relationship has reached a new level. We’ve had an exchange of words. I thought sarcastically, watching as Anthony headed back for the door.

            “Where are you going?” I questioned. He replied by slamming the door behind him.

            I stashed the packet in my bag, standing, before walking out as well.

            You can run Anthony, but you can’t hide.

~\**/~

I trailed behind Anthony a good ten feet or so, making sure not to lose him. He was already far from the Charity hospital, around the beach I’d been at with Todd and where I saw him after my fight with Noah. Even the mention of my brother brought on a whole nother migraine.