Chapter 9

Francine steps out from the shadows, her metallic bunny mask glinting in the flickering neon lights.

"Welcome to the Carnival of Shadows," Francine says with a dramatic flourish. "Where nightmares are the main attraction and your screams are the currency." The Dark Luminaries draw their weapons, the metallic clank resonating through the desolate space. They know better than to trust someone who speaks of joy in such a sinister tone.

The carnival seems to come alive around them, the rickety rides groaning and squeaking as if eager for fresh prey. The air grows thick with an ominous presence, the candy-sweet aroma now tainted by the smell of decay and malice. The Dark Luminaries spread out, their eyes scanning the horizon for any signs of the Ars Goetia's influence.

Luna, her hand hovering above the handle of her revolver, whispers, "We're not alone."

Vermeil Leblanc, the blonde-haired acrobat, swings into view on a fraying tightrope, his eyes wide with shock. "Father," he gasps, the word barely leaving his lips before he drops to the ground, landing with the grace of a gazelle despite his surprise. He looks from Platinum to the masked figure before him, the tension in his body unmistakable.

"It's been a long time," Platinum says. "How have you been, son?"

Vermeil's eyes are wide with shock, his hand resting on the hilt of his sword. He looks at his father, then at the rest of the Dark Luminaries. His voice is a mix of relief and caution. "I've been... surviving. This place, it's changed me. I never thought I'd see you here."

Melania, ever observant, notices the way Vermeil's gaze lingers on his father, a hint of yearning in his eyes. She steps forward, her karate stance firm. "We're here to stop the Ars Goetia," she says. "What do you know about them, and how can we help?"

Vermeil glances around the carnival, his eyes flitting from shadow to shadow. "They've twisted this place, used it for their own ends. The carnies... they're not what they seem." He hesitates, then continues, "The Ars Goetia are using the carnival's essence to feed their power, corrupting the joy it once brought."

Mara, the kunoichi, steps closer, her red hair fluttering in the breeze. "Tell us where to find them, Vermeil," she says, her voice firm. "We need to put an end to this corruption."

"What is your deal?" Platinum asks Francine. "What do you want with my son?"

Francine lets out a sinister laugh. "I just love the look of sad clowns," she says, her eyes gleaming with malice. "But your son, ah, he's quite the catch. A descendant of Sun Wukong in a world of mere mortals? Priceless. I had plans for him, grand plans." Her smile sharpens, the edges of her teeth glinting through the mask's grin.

"I am not a clown!" Vermeil shouts. "I am a jester! And I will not be part of your twisted games, Francine!"

Francine scoffs at Vermeil's outburst. "Whatever," she says. "As long as you are wearing motley, you are one to me."

Her hand snaps, and the air around them warps. Suddenly, the Dark Luminaries are surrounded by a horde of twisted carnies, each one a grotesque parody of a circus performer, their bodies contorted in ways that would make a pretzel seem straight. Their eyes burn with a digital malice that matches the neon lights above. The carnies wield weapons of distorted steel, each twisted to match their own twisted forms.

Mortilda steps up, her scythe crackling with power. "We won't let you harm him," she says, her voice a promise of steel. The carnies advance, their twisted forms casting elongated shadows across the ground. The sound of their metallic limbs clanking together sends a chill down the spines of the Dark Luminaries.

"You are no longer in the digital realm," Francine cackles, her voice echoing through the carnival. "Here, your gaming tactics won't save you."

The carnies close in, their movements a macabre dance of malformed limbs and deadly intent. The Dark Luminaries stand firm, their unity unshaken. Octavia hefts her zweihänder, the blade gleaming with a fierce resolve. "We fight together," she says, "or we fall together."