Chapter Seven: A New Companion

Florence stood frozen, taking in the presence of Johmarrian, the dark-skinned elf whose mere presence seemed to shift the air around him. His piercing eyes, sharp features, and the calm but dangerous aura he carried made it clear he wasn't someone to be trifled with.

Andre, however, didn't flinch. His body tensed, but his gaze remained steady, unwavering. "We don't seek trouble," Andre said, his voice calm yet firm. "We're just passing through."

Johmarrian raised an eyebrow, his sharp gaze flicking between Andre and Florence. His lips twitched into a small, knowing smile. "Few in Astoria travel without purpose. What brings a human and one of your kind together on these forsaken roads?"

Florence felt his heart stutter. One of your kind? He glanced at Andre, but Andre's expression didn't waver. It was as if he knew Johmarrian would see through him.

"I could ask you the same," Andre replied, sidestepping the question. "Elves don't usually wander alone."

Johmarrian's eyes gleamed, his smile fading. "I'm not just wandering," he said, his voice growing serious. "I'm seeking."

Florence felt the weight of his words settle in the pit of his stomach. He didn't know why, but something about this man felt significant. As if their paths had crossed for a reason beyond coincidence.

"What are you seeking?" Florence asked, his voice soft but curious.

Johmarrian's gaze settled on him, and for a brief moment, Florence felt as though the elf could see right through him. "There's a disturbance in Astoria," Johmarrian said, his tone darkening. "A power awakening—a storm brewing. I seek its source."

Florence swallowed hard. The mention of a storm sent a shiver down his spine, reminding him of his dreams—the whispers, the shadows, and the warning he couldn't ignore.

Andre, however, didn't seem surprised. "We've encountered it," he said quietly. "The Void."

Johmarrian's eyes narrowed. "Then you're heading toward it." His voice wasn't a question; it was a statement. He studied them both for a moment, then added, "It seems our paths are aligned."

Florence glanced at Andre, unsure of what this meant. Could they trust Johmarrian? He seemed powerful, but also dangerous—like the kind of man who had his own agenda. And yet, there was something in his eyes, something familiar. A look of purpose. Of knowing.

"We could use the help," Florence admitted, breaking the silence. He didn't know why, but he felt compelled to trust Johmarrian, at least for now.

Andre hesitated for a moment, but then gave a small nod. "Fine. But we're not here to fight your battles."

Johmarrian smirked. "I wouldn't expect you to." He extended a hand toward Florence, his eyes gleaming with something unreadable. "We'll see where the storm takes us."