Chapter Thirteen: Battle Beneath the Storm

Chaos erupted. Andre was the first to move, his blade slicing through the twisted creatures with brutal efficiency, but for every one he cut down, more took their place. Johmarrian summoned powerful waves of magic, his staff crackling with energy as he sent bolts of lightning crashing into the horde.

Florence could only watch, frozen in place as the battle raged around him. The book in his hands pulsed, the symbol on its cover glowing brighter with every second, but he didn't know how to use it—didn't know if he could use it.

Morganna stood at the edge of the fray, watching with a cold, calculating gaze. She didn't move, didn't interfere—she was waiting. Waiting for something... for him.

Florence... the voice in his mind whispered again, louder this time, more insistent. You cannot escape your fate.

He stumbled backward, his heart pounding. He didn't want this. He didn't want any of this. But the storm—the storm was inside him now, and it was growing stronger.

"Florence!" Andre's voice snapped him out of his thoughts. He turned just in time to see one of the creatures lunging at him, its claws extended.

Without thinking, Florence raised the book, and a burst of light exploded from its pages, sending the creature flying backward. The ground beneath them shook, and the sky above crackled with energy.

Everyone froze—Andre, Johmarrian, even Morganna—as they stared at Florence, their eyes wide with shock.

The symbol on the book's cover was no longer just glowing—it was burning, blazing with a light so bright it hurt to look at. And in that moment, Florence knew. This was his power. This was what the Void wanted.

But it wasn't just the Void. The storm—it wasn't just destruction. It was something more. Something deeper.

And it was inside him.

Chapter Fourteen: Awakening

The battle fell into a momentary lull, the creatures retreating as if waiting for their next command. Florence stood at the center of it all, the book in his hands glowing like a beacon in the dark.

Morganna's smile returned, though it was more predatory now. "So, you've finally awakened."

Andre moved closer to Florence, his eyes filled with concern. "Florence, what's happening?"

"I don't... I don't know," Florence whispered, his voice trembling. He could feel the power coursing through him, but he had no control over it. It was like holding onto a live wire—dangerous, uncontrollable.

Johmarrian stepped forward, his eyes locked on the book. "This is only the beginning. The Void has always sought this power, but it's not just the Void. Something older—something darker—wants it too."

Morganna's eyes flashed with amusement. "Ah, Johmarrian. Still playing the wise old mage, I see. But you know as well as I do that this power cannot be contained. Not by Florence, not by you, not by anyone."

Florence felt a cold dread settle in his chest. The weight of Morganna's words hung heavy in the air, and for the first time, he truly understood the danger he was in.

He wasn't just fighting the Void. He was fighting the very fabric of Astoria itself.