Chapter Eleven: The Edge of the Abyss

The storm that had been nothing more than a distant threat now raged overhead, its black clouds swirling, lightning tearing through the sky like jagged scars. The hum Florence had felt for so long was now a roar in his mind, a voice calling to him from the depths of Astoria. He gripped the book tightly, its symbol glowing faintly in response, as if aware of the storm's dark purpose.

Andre's hand was firm on his shoulder, grounding him in the moment, but Florence could feel the tremor in Andre's muscles. The creatures—those twisted shadows—circled them, their eyes gleaming with hunger and malice, ready to pounce.

Johmarrian stood tall, his staff held high, its tip glowing with a faint blue light. "It's not going to stop," he said, his voice barely audible over the storm. "The Void is hungry. It knows we're here."

Florence swallowed hard, his heart pounding against his ribcage. "What... what does it want?"

Johmarrian's eyes flicked to the book in Florence's hands, a flash of realization darkening his features. "You."

Before Florence could react, the ground beneath their feet began to tremble. The creatures screeched, their bodies contorting unnaturally as if drawn toward some unseen force. In the distance, the sky split open, and from the center of the storm, a massive, twisted figure began to descend—its form shrouded in darkness, its eyes glowing with an eerie, otherworldly light.

Andre cursed under his breath, his sword drawn, but even he seemed shaken by the sheer presence of the thing in the sky. "What is that?"

Johmarrian's voice was grim. "The Void has sent its herald. It knows Florence is close to unlocking his power."

Before anyone could respond, a deep, resonant voice filled the air, vibrating through Florence's very bones. Florence...

He gasped, stumbling backward. The voice was inside his head, calling to him, commanding him. He felt an overwhelming urge to surrender, to give in to the storm and the creature it had sent.

Florence... you are the key.

"No!" Florence cried out, clutching the book tighter. The symbol on its cover pulsed, fighting back against the voice in his mind, but he could feel the darkness closing in.

The massive figure drew closer, its presence overwhelming. The creatures surrounding them fell to their knees, as if in worship. The storm raged louder, the wind howling through the trees, and Florence knew—this was just the beginning.