13

The quiet hum of voices filled the church, echoing softly against the stone walls. Sheena sat next to Guill, her hand clasped tightly in his, both their faces drawn with grief. They had been through long hours of emotional waves—of trying to support Maloi, and of trying to grasp their own disbelief over Nick's death. But nothing had prepared them for this moment, standing at his final goodbye.

Sheena wiped away another tear, her gaze fixed on Maloi at the altar. Her best friend's voice trembled, shaking with every word as she delivered her eulogy.

"I know that what I've found is once in a lifetime."

Maloi's voice cracked, the pain evident, but there was a light smile on her lips—a small, fragile sign that she was holding on to the love Nick had given her. The line hung in the air, lingering in Sheena's heart as it weighed down with emotion. Sheena squeezed Guill's hand tighter, seeking strength, feeling his presence as they both shared in Maloi's grief.

Beside her, Guill's grip was firm, yet his eyes were glassy as he focused on the scene unfolding at the front. Sheena stole a glance at him. His jaw was clenched, likely in an effort to keep his composure. She knew how much Nick meant to him. They were practically brothers, and she could only imagine the whirlwind of emotions swirling inside him.

Maloi took a deep breath, continuing. "Uyab ko, ikaw yun," she began again, her voice trembling. "Yung love na nahanap natin sa isa't isa, it's once in a lifetime. Ito yung klase ng pagmamahal na kapag matanda na ako, ito yung ikukuwento ko sa lahat..."

Sheena felt her chest tighten at the rawness of Maloi's words. *Uyab, ikaw yun.* She glanced at Guill again. Her thoughts raced back to that moment—when she thought *he* might've been the one inside the hospital, that it could've been *his* life she had to save, or worse, couldn't save. The fear, the sheer terror, came flooding back as she looked at Guill. She couldn't imagine a world without him.

Maloi's sobs filled the church, and Sheena bit her lip as her own tears fell freely. She leaned against Guill, her heart heavy with Maloi's pain. "Hindi ako handang magplano ng burol at libing." Maloi's words echoed, piercing through the silent crowd. She could hardly breathe, and every word Maloi spoke was like a dagger to the heart.

Sheena could feel the same weight pressing down on Guill. She glanced up at him again, and this time, she saw a single tear escape down his cheek. He was fighting hard to stay strong, but she could tell it was all too much.

Just as she was about to speak, Guill whispered, "Mahal, kung ako 'yung nasa pwesto ni Nick... hindi ko kayang isipin." His voice was low, laced with a deep sadness.

"Shh..." Sheena shook her head, placing a hand on his chest to calm him. "Mahal, andito ka. Buhay ka. Kasama kita ngayon," she said softly, though her own tears continued to fall. "Wag kang mag-isip ng ganun."

He nodded but remained silent, his eyes never leaving Nick's coffin. The sorrow was too much to bear.

Jan's voice soon filled the church as he began his part of the eulogy. Sheena watched as he pulled out the velvet box from his pocket, revealing the engagement ring Nick had prepared for Maloi. Sheena couldn't help but gasp, her heart aching even more. *Si Nick... he was about to propose. He had plans—dreams...*

Guill's hand tightened around hers again, his knuckles white from the grip. "Mahal..." he whispered, voice rough with emotion. "This wasn't supposed to happen. Magpapakasal sila... they were supposed to have a lifetime together."

"I know," Sheena whispered back, her voice breaking. "I know."

The air in the church was thick with emotion. Sheena could hear soft sobs from those around her, but none louder than Maloi's as she accepted the ring from Jan, her face wet with tears. Guill let out a shaky breath beside her, and she knew he was on the verge of breaking down too.

Finally, it was Guill's turn. He stood up slowly, his legs heavy, as if the weight of his grief was physically pulling him down. Sheena watched him walk to the podium, his shoulders tense. She knew Guill wasn't the type to show much emotion in public, but today...today was different.

He cleared his throat, his hands trembling slightly as he held the microphone. "Hindi po ako masalitang tao," he began, voice hoarse. "Kaya hindi ko din alam ang sasabihin ko sa inyo."

Sheena's heart clenched for him. *This is so hard for him,* she thought, willing him strength.

Guill's eyes were locked on the coffin. "Basta ang alam ko lang, Nick, tunay kang kaibigan. Wala kang pinabayaan kahit na isa sa amin."

His voice cracked, and he paused to compose himself. "Nung tumawag ka nung gabing yun, sana pala hinayaan ko na lang madelay yung flight ko. Sana hindi na ako umalis, Nick," he choked out, tears threatening to fall. "Sana narinig ko pa 'yung boses mo ng malinaw... kasi yun na pala yung huli."

Sheena covered her mouth as tears poured down her cheeks. Guill's words were raw and vulnerable. She could feel his pain as if it were her own.

When Guill finished, he returned to Sheena's side, his face streaked with tears. She immediately wrapped her arms around him, hugging him tightly. "Mahal, I'm here," she whispered. "Hindi kita iiwan."

He held her back just as tightly, and they remained that way for what felt like an eternity—two souls, holding onto each other amidst the storm of grief.

---

The burial was quiet. The sounds of shovels scraping against the earth echoed in the cemetery, marking Nick's final rest. Sheena held Guill's hand the entire time, her heart heavy. She could feel the depth of his loss in every breath he took.

As the last of the soil was placed over Nick's coffin, Guill turned to Sheena. His eyes, though red and swollen from crying, held a certain resolve.

"Mahal," Guill began, his voice soft but steady. "Ayaw kong mawala nang hindi tayo naikakasal. Narealize ko kay Nick at Maloi na hindi natin hawak ang oras natin at hindi pwedeng palagi na lang tayong maghihintay sa tamang oras..."

Sheena's eyes widened slightly, and her heart began to race. "Guill..."

He continued, his hands trembling as they held hers. "Hindi ako ready ngayon... wala akong dalang singsing, pero, Shee... magpakasal na tayo?"

Sheena blinked, the flood of emotions overwhelming her. She stared at him, her eyes searching his face. Despite the grief, despite everything they had gone through, there was a deep certainty in his eyes—a promise of a lifetime together, no matter what.

Sheena let out a shaky breath, tears pooling in her eyes once more. She nodded slowly, a soft smile forming through the tears. "Sige, mahal. Tama na ang paghihintay natin," she whispered, her voice breaking. "Magpapakasal tayo."

Guill exhaled, a look of relief washing over his face. He pulled her into his arms, holding her tightly. "Mahal na mahal kita, Shee."

Sheena held him just as tightly. "Mahal na mahal din kita, Guill. Ngayon at sa susunod pang mga buhay."

And for the first time in what felt like forever, they both smiled—two hearts healing, ready to face their future, together.