I walk into the kitchen to see Mom obsessing over the fact that she had finally made pancakes without burning them to the point ashes come off, and Taylor runs over before they burst into a squealing fit.

"...You guys are weird," I mumble, but still put on a smile because I know my mom is trying her hardest to make up for the years she couldn't get herself out of bed.

She hands me a plate with a pancake on it and I cringe. "You figured out pancakes, now I think its time to figure out chocolate chip faces..." I'm not going to lie. The what-was-supposed-to-be-a-smile on my pancake looks like the devil's summoning, and looks incredibly eerie.

I still eat it, after I cut it into many pieces. And shuffle those pieces. And drench it in syrup.

...

"So," My mom starts, and I know shes about to ask about school. Since its Saturday Tay and I agreed to go grocery shopping with her and help her find some stuff.

She says its a surprise but made a list of stuff she needs consisting of chicken, green Chiles, beans, tortillas, and ENCHILADA sauce. I still try to act surprised to make her happy.

"How's school?"

"Good." There's a moment of silence.

"...Do you have a crush?" She asks out of the blue.

"What? No?"

"Are you sure?"

"Mom."

"Okay, okay."

...

Long behold, just my luck, I see Logan's grandparents at the store. I know he helps his grandparents out alot, so I know he's probably here too.

My mom walks over and gets in a long, boring conversation with them, and the best thing I have to do is listen in on it. Taylor, on the other hand, walks over and talks with them, mostly listening.

I keep spacing out so I can only hear small snippets of it.

"____ not with you today?"

"No,  _____."

"Oh? ___ going ___?"

"He's been _____"

"Oh, poor ____."

"The therapist _______"

"______ soon."

I don't know or care what they're talking about, and lean my head on the cart so they can't tell I'm listening. "Tyler?" I hear my mom say. "Are you ready?"

"Oh. Yeah."

...

"Did you hear?" Taylor asks, hanging upside down from the top bunk to see me, on the bottom one. I used to tell her not to do that as a kid, but she wouldn't stop. "Hear what?"

"Logan might not be coming to school for the rest of the week."

I suck my teeth and sit up from my bunk. "Okay?" But my curiosity gets the best of me. "Why?"