Chapter Six: There Be Dragons

The morning sun had barely begin to rise when Sirena, Lyra and the other Dragon Rider candidates gathered at the base of the trail leading up to Dracoria Peak. The excitement in the air was palpable, mingled with the nervous energy and hushed whispers. Today was the day-the day they had all been waiting for. Today they would hike to the home of the Dragons, to see if they would be chosen.

Sirena tightened her dark cloak around her shoulders, looking down at what she wore, hoping it would be okay for the hike. She wore a corseted, earthy toned bodice, tightly laced and adorned with leather straps and intricate detailing that highlighted her lithe agile form. Beneath the bodice she had put on an off-white, billowy blouse with loose sleeves that lent an air of softness to the structures upper layer. Her skirt, cut in jagged, asymmetrical layers, flowed down her upper thighs, while deep burgundy leggings covered her legs, adding a warmth and splash of color. She'd completed her outfit with knee-high lace-up leather boots. Lyra wore something similar except her bodice was black and her leggings a deep blue, her own cloak wrapped around her shoulders for warmth against the cold they would face at the mountains peak.

Sirena's heart thudded heavily against her chest as she glanced once again at Lyra, who was already bouncing on the balls of her feet with barely contained enthusiasm.

"Can you believe it, Sirena?" Lyra whispered, eyes shining. "By this afternoon, we could be Dragon Riders!"

"I can't even think that far ahead," Sirena admitted, her voice soft with a mixture of hope and anxiety. "I just hope I'm worthy."

"You are, we both are," Lyra said confidently, a start contrast to her uncertainty that she'd shown the night before. "Don't even doubt that for a second."

They were soon joined by Headmistress Elara and Instructor Thalion, who led the group in silence as they began their scent up the rugged mountain path. The trail was steep and challenging, winding through towering pine trees and jagged rocks. Each step brought them closer to their destiny-or their greatest disappointment.

As they neared the summit, the air grew thinner, cooler, and filled with the scent of pine and stone. Sirena could feel her pulse quicken with every step. They were approaching the plateau where the Dragons lived.

Finally, they crested the last ridge and stood at the edge of the stone plateau of Dracoria. Sirena's breath caught in her throat as she took in the sight before her. Dragons-of every shape, size, and color-soared through the skies, their wings casting large shadows over the plateau. Some rested on the stone, their massive forms barking in the sunlight, while others disappeared into the caves that dotted the sides of the mountain, their homes carves into the rocky cliffs.

The sheer magnitude of the Dragons' presence made Sirena feel incredibly small. It was breathtaking and awe-inspiring, like standing before living legends.

"Welcome to Dracoria," Elara's voice rang out, commanding everyone's attention. "This is where your fates will be decided."

The candidates shifted nervously, exchanging glances.

Elara stepped forward, her posture regal and calm. "When a Dragon chooses you, you will feel it-deep within your soul. A connection will be made, and from then on you will be bonded both in mind and spirit. You will be able to communicate with your Dragon telepathically, as they with you. Not all of you will be chosen, and that will mean the end of your time at the Academy. But you must leave with grace and dignity. The Dragons will have their reasons."

She let her words settle over them before raising her hand toward the Dragons. "Now, let the Choosing begin."

One by one, the candidates stepped forward, their faces a mix of hope and trepidation. The Dragons watched from their perches, some with keen interest, others appearing indifferent. The first few candidates were chosen quickly. A tall male elf with sandy hair bonded with a silver Dragon, his face lighting up as the connection formed. Another she-elf was chosen by a brilliant red Dragon, she laughed in pure delight as she felt the Dragon's presence in her mind.