Chapter Two: The Journey Begins

The first light of dawn crept over the horizon, casting a soft golden glow over the quiet village of Elderglen. At the edge of the village, where the dense woods met the fields, Sirena was already awake, her breath visible in the crisp morning air. She stood alone in the clearing, moving gracefully as she trained with an old bow that had seen better days. Her silver hair cast the first rays of the sun and her ice-blue eyes were focused on her target, a wooden post she had set up years ago.

She notched an arrow, pulled the string back to her cheek, and let it fly. The arrow stuck true, sinking deep into the post with a dull thud. Sirena smiled to herself, but there was a weight in her heart. Today was the day she would leave Elderglen, her home for the past hundred and twenty years. Today, she would start the journey to the Celestara Peaks, to the Dragon Riding Academy, where she would see if a Dragon would choose her.

From the small stone house just beyond the clearing, her parents watched her through the kitchen window. Her mother, Eriniel, a slender elf with long flowing brown hair, stirred the pot of porridge, her hands moving absentmindedly as she looked out at Sirena.

"She's up early again," Eriniel said softly, her voice filled with both pride and worry. "She's been training so hard, as if she could will herself to be chosen."

Her father, Eryndor, a tall elf with shoulder length blond hair, leaned against the doorway, watching his daughter with a solemn expression. "She's determined. Always has been." He sighed. "But it's hard, knowing she might not come back for a while. If she's chosen..."

"She'll be gone," Eriniel finished, her voice breaking slightly. "Our little girl."

Eryndor moved to his wife's side, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. "She's not a little girl anymore, Eriniel. She's grown into a strong, capable young elleth. And if anyone is worthy of being chosen by a Dragon, it's her."

Eriniel nodded, blinking back tears. "I know. But it doesn't make it any easier."

Outside, Sirena fired a ew more arrows before switching to her sword. The blade was old, passed down through generations of her family. It was still sharp, though the hilt was worn form years of use. She moved through a series of drills, her movements precise and fluid, her mind focused on the task at hand. She was thankful her father was a former soldier, he's taught her so much over the years. But when she glanced up, she saw her parents watching her from the window of the kitchen.

With a small smile, Sirena sheathed her sword and waved at them before heading back toward the house. She could feel the weight of the day ahead pressing down on her, but she was ready.

Inside, the warmth of the fire greeted her, and the smell of breakfast filled the air. She set the old weapons by the door and joined her parents at the table.

"Good morning," she said, her voice light, though there was a hint of nervousness in her eyes.

"Good morning, dear," her mother replied, setting a bowl of porridge in front of her. "Are you ready for today?"

Sirena nodded, though her heart fluttered in her chest. "As ready as I'll ever be. It still feels unreal that today's the day."

Her father smiled at her from across the table. "You've trained hard for this moment. No matter what happens, we're proud of you."

Sirena gave him a grateful smile, but before she could respond, her father stood and walked toward a large wooden trunk in the living room. He knelt beside it, lifting the lid with care. Sirena watched curiously as he pulled out a long, slender object wrapped in cloth.

Eryndor brought the bundle over to the table and set it down in front of her. "We wanted to give you something for your journey," he said, unwrapping the cloth to reveal a beautiful new bow, sleek and polished with intricate carvings along the grip. Along with it, he revealed a set of twin swords, their blades gleaming in the morning light.

Sirena gasped, her hand covering her mouth as she stared at the weapons in awe. "Papa...mama...I don't know what to say."

Eriniel smiled softly. "They belonged to your grandfather, but we had them restored. We thought it was time they were passed down to you."

Her father placed a hand on her shoulder. "You're ready, Sirena. For whatever lies ahead."

Sirena's eyes filled with tears and she stood to embrace both her parents. "Thank you. I'll make you proud."

Eryndor nodded, though his eyes were filled with emotion. "You already have, daughter."

They ate the rest of breakfast in silence, the weight of the day hanging over them. Soon, it was time to go. Sirena stood tall in her simple farmers tunic, the earthy brown fabric draping loosely over her lithe frame. The tunic was belted at her waist, revealing the form-fitting leggings beneath that allowed for ease of movement and her dark brown boots completed the look. She strapped her new bow to her back, the polished wood shining faintly in the light of their home. At her sides, her new swords now hung in their scabbards, the hilts intricately designed, hinting at the skilled craftsmanship. Though her attire was humble, the weapons she carried now marked her as someone prepared for the challenges ahead, combining her village roots with her new warriors strength. After making sure she had everything, including her bag now hanging off her shoulder, inside a few changes of clothes and some snacks for the road, the small family left the house and headed towards the center of the village.

As they approached, the air buzzed with excitement. A caravan of horse-drawn wagons and guards from the capital were waiting to take the young elves of age to the Dragon Riding Academy. The villagers had gathered, wishing those who were leaving well on their journey. The villagers had gathered, wishing those who were leaving well on their journey.

Sirena's heart reached as she saw the wagons. This was it. Her moment.

"Good luck, Sirena!" A neighbor called out, waving at her.

"You'll make a fine Rider!" Another said, clapping her on the back.

Sirena smiled, grateful for the support, but her eyes were on her parents. As the guards began organizing the group, Sirena turned to face them one last time.

Eriniel reached out, cupping her daughter's dace in her hands. "Be safe, my love. And remember, no matter what happens, you are always welcome home."

Sirena nodded, her throat tight with emotion. "I'll miss you both."

Her father embraced her tightly. "Go, Sirena. Follow your heart, and let the Dragons decide the rest."

With one final, bittersweet smile, Sirena turned toward the caravan of wagons. She climbed into one of them, her heart pounding in her chest. The wagon jolted forward, and as they rolled out of the village, Sirena looked back one last time.

Her parents stood together, waving, their faces proud but tinged with sadness. Sirena swallowed hard, her determination strengthening. She would make them proud. No matter what.

As the caravan moved further from Elderglen and the village disappeared from view, Sirena turned her gaze forward, toward the towering Celestara peaks in the distance. The road ahead was uncertain, but for the first time in her life, she felt ready for whatever the future held.

The journey to the Dragon Riding Academy had begun.