Chapter 14 - Life.

Tensions were rising high, sweat dripping from both Joe and Ty's entire bodies. They stood in the empty echoing hall, each with a small brown envelope in tow. It's year twelve results day. Neither were confident in their grades as the year had been tough. Alice and Charlie were sat waiting eagerly in the car for the boys who had still not emerged from the doorway. 

"This is it." Joe broke the silence, seating himself on the nearest chair in the crimson assembly hall. Lights flickered in his eyes, Ty smiled he was sure Joe had done well, but how well?

"A in maths.. B in further maths.. A in physics.. Fuck.. Like. My heart is pounding." Joe's words fluttered as he breathed deep, shaking from joy. "You're turn." He tilted his head and smiled at Ty who had opened his results, sitting with his head slumped down. Ty's breath was rigid, broken and heavy. 

"What's the matter? It can't be that bad right? Or is it because you did better than me?" Joe tapped Ty's shoulder causing his face to jolt to the side, his eyes were red and distraught. Without saying a word Joe snatched the paper, scouring the words for the answer. "Maths.. U? Further Maths U?.. There's no way you failed! We have been studying and testing each other all year.. Your maths was better than mine." Ty had simply looked back down, pulling a sleeve from his jumped to cover his entire arm and wiped his eyes. Taking the paper back he stumbled to the exit, never taking his eyes from the ground. Joe quickly rushed and grabbed the purple hoody before it could emerge from the building pulling him back in and pushing him against the wall. Joe didn't speak instead he rested his head against Ty's cheek, his hands no longer pinning Ty to the wall but intertwining their fingers together. It was the closest to a hug he could get while keeping Ty stationary and out of site. The two stood out like saw thumbs against the red walls of the hall. 

"Listen. Nothing bad is going to happen. You can resit. I'll still be here with you. Always. I'm not going anywhere." Joe held his intimate yet dominating position on Ty who had opened his mouth to reply, burrowing his head in Joe's luminescent green cardigan. "And what about the year after when you go to university.. What will I do then? What if I fail again? What if-". "Nothing. Bad. Ever." Joe whispered again, pulling Ty's face up so their eyes could meet, the intensity of the emotion between the two at this point was enough to make anyone drown. "Right, C'mon let's go chill. Sign up isn't for another two weeks." Joe opened the door, holding it like a gentleman waiting for Ty to move, though he just stood there trembling and stationary. Joe sighed, grabbing the sleeve Ty had pulled down and practically hurled him through the door, keeping hold of his arm not to send him flying. 

Charlie and Alice caught the rough display, quickly rushing out the car to greet the boys, still filled with eagerness to learn of the results. 

Joe pulled Ty closer to him, tangling their arms in one another. Joe had taken lead in the walk, pushing himself a few inches further forward than Ty so that he was the first to be greeted and spoken too. "Don't ask just yet." Charlie raised his hand as if to ask a question, but upon seeing Ty's abysmal face lowered his hand and turned to whisk Alice back. Ty was doing well to not let his looming demise consume him, his stomach was making him feel ill with anxiety, his mind was angry, disappointed and sad all at the same time, but he managed to keep his gaze steady, and his breathing was back to being almost regular. Joe was still making Ty move, opening his car door and shoving him into the car like a kidnapper he slammed the door and took his place on the other side of the car. Still angry Ty ripped a pair of purple skull candy earphones out his pocket attaching them hastily to his phone and blasting music into his ears. Joe followed suit, not wanting Ty's mood to be overly apparent.  Charlie, was in the passengers seat this time. He grabbed Joe's hand before the music went in still whispering in case Ty could hear. 

"Did he fail? We didn't think it would happen but you both seemed pretty upset about your chances. I mean, we are fine. He can repeat the year but.. Is he okay?" Charlie was softly spoken and smooth, he had large amounts of concern on his voice.