Chapter Seventeen- Morning Thinker

Today marked the last week of the second stage. The initiates were buzzing with excitement, wanting the week to pass by in a flash. It also marked the first official day of Four and I officially being a couple.

It was weird knowing that Four and I were not only coworkers, but growing to be lovers. Then again, I wasn't supposed to think of this as a real relationship. I was supposed to think of this as a mission to conclude whether Four was actually a Divergent or not. To play him into loving me in order to pry crucial information out of him.

I felt a pang in my heart every time I thought of it that way. I couldn't do that to Four. Deep inside, I knew I had great feelings for him, and knew that they would bite me in the ass in the future. That is why I decided to go against it what Max wanted me to do, and formulate my own plan on how to prevent hell from raising.

The initiates were given a day off from the mind torture we have been putting them through for the last week. Most of them needed it, especially Albert and Molly. Both of them hadn't been doing well, because they always needed to leave either early or have help because they became a walking vegetable.

For most of my morning, I tried to formulate my own plan to get out of this mess. I didn't necessarily agree with slaughtering innocent people, nor using Dauntless as a tool to carry out the deed. To be honest the main reason why I accepted the mission was because I wanted to be kept in the loop of what Jeanine was planning to do, and to hopefully prevent her from doing so. However, there was another major reason why I took the opportunity.

Eric.

I wanted to use the opportunity to get closer to him, and possibly persuade him out of following Jeanine's plan to slaughter an entire faction. Even though I knew my feelings for Four were somewhat strong, my feelings for Eric were catching up to that state pretty quickly. And now it was more stronger since he confessed his attraction towards me. Talk about bad timing for all of us.

Nonetheless, I had to go along with the plan I agreed with and try to secretly carry out one of my own. All that I basically had planned was that I wanted to help save as many Divergents as I possibly could, involve Four in the plan, and have Eric on board with saving instead of killing. Will this work? Most likely not. Could it work? Maybe.

My thoughts were interrupted by Lucas setting a plate of food and some silverware on the coffee table in range of me. I looked to see that I was sitting on my black sofa, my head in my hands.

I must have seriously been in deep thought.

I looked up to Lucas and nodded, "Thank you."

He just nodded and went back into the kitchen, probably to make himself his own food.

Lucas and I were still on tense terms from the argument we had last night. Sometimes he looked at me like he expected me to apologize for yelling at him. The problem: I was NOT going to do that. There was no way I was going to apologize for something he started.

I picked up my plate of eggs and fruit, along with the fork, and started to eat. I stabbed a strawberry, and placed in my mouth. The sweetness of the strawberry melted on my tongue, causing a smile to rise upon my face. As I was eating, I felt a dip in the sofa from Lucas's weight. He sat on the farthest side of the couch with a mug in his hand. A long silence spread over us as we were paying attention to our own worlds.

"I'm sorry," he said breaking the silence.

I placed my plate on the coffee table and turned my body to look at him.

"For?"

"For yelling at you for something you cannot control."

I smiled, "It's okay."