Ticket Master

"Nope, nope.... nope-"

"Can you stop that? We've been picking apples all morning while all you did was sit on my back. The least you can do is not throw half of them away."

The young drake mumbled something to himself and stopped. He didn't like being lectured by his older brother.

"Easy there Comet." Said Braeburn "We still have to separate fresh apples from the rotten ones. Little guy's not doing anything wrong."

"You're the best judge of everything apple-related, so I'll trust you." Replied Comet chuckling.

"Thank you kindly,Comet, for helping me out. I bet Big McIntosh I could get all these Golden Delicious in the barn by lunchtime. If I win, he's gonna walk down Stirrup Street in one of Granny's girdles." Said the apple farmer

"I'd pay a bit or two to see that." Said Comet.

Their conversation was interrupted by a loud belch released by Spike. The green fire released from the reptile's mouth formed into a scroll.

Spike picked it from the ground and opened it

"Hear ye, hear ye. Her Grand Royal Highness, Princess Celestia of Equestria, is pleased to announce the Grand Galloping Gala to be held in the magnificent capital city of Canterlot, on the 21st day of, eh, yadda yadda yadda, cordially extends an invitation to Comet Tale plus one guest." Young dragon read aloud and took out two golden tickets.

"Oh no." Said Comet

Braeburn gasped. " As in the Grand Galloping Gala?"

The unicorn looked at him weirdly. "You're a fan? I wouldn't have thought so."

"Fan of the event? No not really my thing. I'm more interested in the ponies attending."

"Trust me it's not worth it. Canterlot is home to the worst snobs in all of Equestria. I could name maybe five decent ponies among the nobility of the capital."

"Perhaps, but all of them like to eat. And what better way to satisfy the hunger than baked goods? Preferably the ones containing the best apples in all of Equestria."

Braeburn smiled dreamily. "You know what I could do with all that money? We could replace that saggy old roof, and Big McIntosh could replace that saggy old plow, and Granny Smith could replace that saggy old hip. Who knows? Maybe we would be able to save enough money to financially aid my own folks in Appleoosa. I know that dad keeps complaining about the crumbling walls in our granary."

Comet needed to take all of that in. "That is... quite a noble goal." He smiled. "And what kind of friend would I be if-"

All of a sudden something hit the ground next to them with such force that it raised a cloud of dust.

The two ponies started coughing profusely.

"Did somepony said Grand Galloping Gala?"

They rubbed their eyes to see Soarin grinning from ear to ear.

Braeburn's muzzle soured immediately. "Yeah, what of it?"

"Well I was just flying by and happened to hear that Comet has an extra ticket to spare."

"It doesn't matter what you heard, because this place is already taken by me." Braeburn said defensively.

"Hold on a minute." Comet interrupted. "I didn't promise you anything yet."

Braeburn seemed slightly hurt by the remark but Comet turned his head to Soarin "Why do you want to attend?"

"Who said anything about me?"