Chapter 48

Jesper and I wait outside the seemingly abandoned house. Kaz and Wylan had snuck in, or were trying to, about ten minutes ago. Kaz said that Wylan was going to plant some kind of explosives. I wasn't going to question Kaz.

Especially when I told him multiple times that Simeon would still be in the house, to which he just shrugged it off as nothing. No doubt having a plan to deal with him and his goons that he didn't want to explain to me.

At least, I hoped he had one. He only told me the parts that had to do with Jesper and Wylan. Nothing that included him.

"So," Jesper slowly says. His gaze on me and not where it should be.

"So," I answer, making sure not to break my focus. We had to keep an eye out for the signal that Kaz would give at any moment. There wasn't time to mess around.

"Kaz," was all Jesper said. It was enough to force my gaze to his.

His eyes bore into mine. My heart beating in my ears. How much did he know? Did Kaz tell him anything? It would be out of character for Kaz but I'm not sure how much he would tell Jesper or Wylan. I still haven't been able to figure out if he just tolerates them or actually enjoys their company.

"You know the story of him and Inej?" Jesper says.

"I know they had something between them." I look back at the house. Hoping to get back on the task at hand. "But she left only to come back and then leave again."

I saw Jesper nod out of the corner of my eyes. "He bought her a boat."

I didn't say anything.

"Kaz is... like a cat."

I look at Jesper, confused. I don't think I've ever heard of someone compare Dirty Hands Brekker to a cat. Out of any animal, Jesper chose a cat…

"Alright..." I mumble.

"In the way that he doesn't show affection unless it's, well, suitable."

"Do you even know what you're saying right now? Did someone drug you? Are you drunk?"

Jesper rolls his eyes. "What I'm saying is that sometimes Kaz doesn't know what's good for him which gets him wrapped up in a multitude of different conflicts."

"I've gathered that, Jesper. I literally work for him."

Jesper was quiet for a moment. A small flicker of hope filled my chest. Only to be squished as I hear him inhale to say something else.

"He really likes you," he whispers. "I would say almost as much as he did with Inej. He wouldn't be doing any of this if he didn't."

"I know..."

Once again, silence falls between us. I know Kaz likes me. At least, in the sense of what should be a semblance of a relationship. Maybe our situation isn't as black and white as Jesper and Wylan, but it was there.

He had saved me from Simeon, in more ways than one. He set up this calculated heist that is bound to go wrong at some point, Simeon knows I would come back and has probably planned it all.

He said himself; he'd burn the world down for the ones he cares about. And I would burn the world for him.

"If I get any rumor that you're planning on leaving him, I will shoot you."

I stared at Jesper, who's attention was firmly on the dark house. He was a good friend. Someone that has Kaz's interests in mind that aren't purely selfish or business motivated. It made me miss my brothers.

"I'm not going anywhere," I whisper.

"Good, because I don't want to hurt you."

Before any other threats or conversations could pass between us, a light reflected into our eyes; the signal.