Four

It was a forty-minute drive north from Ypsilanti to Novi to the Timberworks lumberjack show at the Outdoorama Event. Quinn had already brought their tickets, so they were able to walk start in. Noah had organised a couple of electric wheelchairs for the elderly brothers to get around on. The weather had cleared up, and it looked like it was going to be a fantastic day.
Maddie was just parking up. Mark had come for the ride. He was interested in seeing what this event was all about, but it was also a chance to meet some of Maddie’s family members since she had mentioned that her dad was going to be there. Her blue Suzuki Swift felt like a pebble amongst the Utes and Rangers of the typical ‘blokey’ event.
“That’s a nice colour on you, by the way. Is it new?”
Maddie hooked her keys into her jeans loop, pushing them down to her pocket. “Yeah, I got it last time I went home.” She couldn’t find anything in her city closet to wear but still had the green plait button-up shirt she’d brought for Quinn. It was a little bigger than she was used to, but it looked perfect. Paired with her jeans, she felt she was returning to her roots. “I’m just going to message my cousin to see if they are here yet.”
“Okay.” Mark put his arm over her shoulder. “This should be fun; I’m excited!”

Quinn was fidgeting with her top. The spandex was fighting with her sports bra, and she kept getting shocked. “I can’t wear this.” She turned around, reaching into her backpack for a t-shirt. “It’s going to distract me too much.”
“Good call.” Her uncle Buck limped past her, looking at the time.
“Quinton Mitchell?” They both turned around. Quinn took a quick look at her uncle.
“No, no.” He looked over at the young official. “It’s Quinn Mitchell.”
“Oh.” The young official’s eyes fell to his clipboard, the blush coming to his cheeks. “Um, sorry, we have you, madam, down as registered for the men’s events.” His eyes came up to Quinn’s as she stepped closer, towering over him. Her brows knitted, hearing her uncle clear his throat.
“Yes, that is correct.” Her eyebrows rose as she looked over her shoulder at him. He shrugged.
“There was no women’s event, well not enough women competing to have one.” He saw her roll her eyes as she shook her head.
“It will be fine. Yes...” He directed to the young official.
“She will be competing in the men’s events. And her name is Quinn, not Quinton. Make sure you correct that.”
“Ahh yeah, sure.” He quickly rewrote her name. “Um, the competition starts in five minutes. Can we have you to the side stage, please?” Watching him go, Quinn threw her hand towel down on her bag. She was nervous already, and this added. She shook her head, her hand coming up, playing with the necklace around her neck. She just hoped she didn’t make a fool of herself.

“This is exciting!” Amy parked her uncle Charlie up at the front of the stage where he could get the best view. Noah wheeled his dad next to his brother, locking in the brake. William tapped his brother’s foot.
“What are these kids up to? Is this a school play or something?” Charlie adjusted himself in his chair, his cowboy hat blocking the midday sunshine. A couple of gentlemen headed out onto the stage.
“A surprise, I am told.”

“Are we on?”
“Sounds like it, Bob.”
“Well, hello everyone, welcome to Novi Michigan to the Timberworks Lumberjack competitions being held here at the Outdoorama this weekend. I am your host, Troy Manning, and I am joined by my co-host and judging expert, Bob Yolanda.”
“Yes, we will have a great show for you today with great competition. We have 12 newcomers this round competing in both axe and saw to get to the top of the podium and take away the Timberworks Newcomers trophy.”

Maddie could hear the announcements coming from the stage. She was reading Amy’s message when she heard Quinn’s name over the speaker. Mark noticed her pause.
“Hey, you okay, what is it?”
“Umm.” She avoided his eyes momentarily, the heat coming to her cheeks. “I think we need to go this way.”

Quinn stepped up onto the stage. The nerves showed as she gave a wave and a little smile. She got in line with the others, hoping that being the only woman wouldn’t make her stand out like a sore thumb. She caught a hand waving at her and realised it was Amy. Her uncles and Noah were at the front of the stage. She relaxed a little, seeing the big smile on Charlie’s face. This was for him, too.
Maddie headed over to the crowd with Mark in tow. The giant lumberjack competition signs caught her eye. Was this the surprise? Was Quinn competing?
“Oh, there’s my cousin!”