Sixteen

“So I see there are quite a few smaller competitions on this season, but it depends on how far you want to go?”
“So what you got?” Quinn asked her Uncle Buck as they sat at the kitchen table in Exeter.
“Well,” He had a look through his newsletter. “There’s a few up in Canada if you wanna go up those ways. But I don’t think there is anything before the US champs.”
“Damn,” Quinn sat back. She was really hoping there was something.
“You want more practice?”
“Mm, yes and no.” She was honest, “Need the money, really.”
“What for? You in trouble?” He laughed, sitting back and crossing his arms. “You take after your father, Quinnlee. He wasn’t that much of a saint either.”
Quinn’s dimple sunk deep into her cheek. “No, uncle.” She laughed. “I’m pretty sure I’m an angel compared to him.”
“Hmm, sure.” Her Uncle laughed. Her father had the same laugh. Her uncle watched her a moment. “So, what do you need this money for?”
“Just some renovations on the homestead to make it easier for the brothers.” Her eyes fell on him. “Also,” she wrung her hands together. “I want to find out who my mother was.” Her eyes met his. “Do you know, uncle?”
“Hmm.” She saw his cheeks rise into a smile as he sat forward, readjusting his hip. He moved back, finding a comfortable spot. His eyes found their way up to the photo of Wynyard on the mantelpiece. “He always thought he was the handsome brother.” He laughed. “Ahh, it was true; the girls loved him, even through school. Don’t think I ever saw him without a girl on his arm. And there were many. Think he liked the attention.” He smiled to himself. “He had a real soft spot for that Evelyn Campbell. Although I remember seeing him with Belinda, too.” He sat forward, taking in the features of his niece. He could see his bloodline in her, and she had the feminine features of her mother. “But who your true mother is, my girl, I do not know.”
Quinn dropped her head. “Those Campbell women took you in from the moment you turned up.” He sat forward and intertwined his fingers. “We were away a lot up at the boat shed. Our wives and women were on their own often, and we boys didn’t always get the same time off. Wynyard was staying at the homestead already, so.” He saw the redness come to her eyes. “Why this now?”
Quinn looked up at him. She quickly wiped her cheek. “Ahh, nothing, uncle.” She shrugged. “I just want to know if I am a Campbell.” He smiled.
“Does this have to do with that Campbell kid running this campaign for you?”
“Uncle!”
“Quinnlee, I wasn’t born yesterday. I saw the way you looked at her.” Quinn shrugged, her lip curling slightly as her uncle read her body language. “It would pay for you to find out, kid. That kind of thing is frowned on in these parts.”
“no shit, uncle, oh sorry.” She apologised for swearing. He laughed, reaching over for her hand. “If I can help, I will just let me know.”
“Thanks, uncle.”

~~~

“Awesome! Hey, and thank you for your time. I will let you know when that comes through.” Maddie sipped her juice.
“No problem, and hey, we’ll see you at the championships!” Quinn knocked on her door. “Alright, thanks again, bye-bye.” She clicked off out of her call. “I wasn’t expecting you back till later.”
“Uncle had some things he wanted to get done.”
Maddie sat back at her computer, finishing off this deal. “How’s he doing?” She looked up as Quinn leaned back against her desk next to her. “Oh.” She touched her arm. “Did he say if any events were coming up?”
“Mmm, no.” Quinn shuffled her feet. “Nothing until after champs.” Maddie stopped typing, noticing Quinn had gone quiet. She turned in her chair to her. Quinn sighed, kneeling down in front of her.
“What is it?” She caught her eyes.
“Um,” Quinn touched her knee, her fingers a little fidgety. “I had a talk with my uncle. He doesn’t know who my mother is, but,” Her shoulder rose. “He strongly suggested that I need to find out if we,” She pointed between them. “are seriously thinking of being anything more than ‘friends.’”
“Oh,” Maddie leant on her arms, closer to her. “So there is a real chance we could...” Quinn searched her eyes. Her lips pursed into a slight smile.
“Even he said dad was pretty sweet on Evelyn.”
Maddie dropped her head. “But surely she wouldn’t have been able to hide being pregnant from dad?” Quinn leaned into her, dropping her forehead to hers.
“Dad was living here already, and even Uncle agreed they were all gone most of the time and never really got the same time off together.” Her hand brushed Maddie’s thigh. “And if there were no males around and no women up there.”
Maddie reached up, her palm brushing Quinn’s cheek, trailing over her jawline. She hadn’t felt her this close in so long. She moved back.
“You need to contact your lawyer friend for some advice.”
“Yeah, I know.” Quinn stood. “It just feels weird when you say it out loud.”
“That the woman you are in love with could be your half-sister?”
“Yes.” It rolled off Quinn’s tongue, slowly sounding so wrong. “I just wish I had the money, but I’ll work on it.” Maddie watched her plonk down on her couch, getting her phone out.
“Speaking of,” She got up, leaning on the back of the couch. “I’ve got you some more funding, but I wanted to run some merchandise ideas past you. Could help us with some extra cash?”
Quinn sat up, putting her phone down. “Alright, what have you got?”