Thirteen

After a couple of hours, they turned onto the 90 at the Ohio Turnpike. Quinn reached over into her ashtray, finding some coins. Maddie pulled her shades down, watching.
“What’s up?”
“Toll road.”
“For real!”
“The joys of driving, my friend.” Quinn smiled at her from behind her shades. She turned down the stereo a little. “I need like another 4 bucks. You got some coin?”
Maddie reached over the back for her handbag. “I think I have some loose stuff in the bottom.” Quinn pulled into the lane behind the car ahead of them. “Wait, I have a two.” She dropped it in Quinn’s hand, Quinn jiggling her handful, seeing the cars going through.
“Maddie, come on!”
Maddie looked up at her as she checked the other corner. “You’re driving! You should have checked! What about in your door?” Quinn quickly dug her hand down into the pocket of her door. She found a few more coins.
“Here.”
Maddie gave her a couple more just as they reached the window. “That was lucky.” She sat back as Quinn counted out the loose change. Receiving her ticket, she pulled down her visor, tucking it in as she pushed it back up.
“Here we go! Road trip!”

“I need to stretch. You wanna drive for a while.” Quinn looked over at her, playing a game on her phone.
“You want me to drive your beast.”
“Yip, I’ll let you. Wait, you do have your full licence, right?”
“Shut up!” Maddie gave her a slap in the arm. “You were there when I got it; pull over!” Quinn pulled over at the next rest stop. Maddie was the first to run to the toilets, having downed her energy drink already. Quinn did a few laps of the rest area. She wasn’t used to sitting for so long. Maddie came back from the toilets, shaking her hands out.
“Smells like puke in there.”
“Oh great!” Quinn threw her the keys, heading on in. Maddie walked around a bit, checking the time. They weren’t doing too badly.
“Hey, we should make it by the afternoon.”
“Good.” Quinn shook her hands off, her nose scrunched up from the foul smell. “That was gross! I’m ready when you are.”
“Ugh!” Maddie sighed. She had to admit even though she could sit in her work chair for hours, this was different. Maybe driving would kill the boredom for a while. Stepping up to the truck, she jumped into the seat, suddenly feeling weirdly in Quinnlee’s world. “Hmm.”
“What’s hmm?” Quinn got comfortable, putting her seatbelt on.
“Nothing” Maddie wrung her hands over the steering wheel, finding a comfy spot in Quinn’s seat. “Closest I’ve been to your butt.”
“Well, it’s moulded to my arse, so of course.”
“Can tell,” Maddie smirked as she turned the key, pulling it into drive. “Whoop!” She bunny hopped, Quinn slamming her hands on the dashboard.
“Maddie!”
“My bad!” She laughed, getting a slap on the leg as Quinn adjusted her belt again, her frown behind her glasses known.
“Just drive!”
“Yes, madam.”

“Eww, McDonalds!”
“Seriously! We’ve got like half an hour!”
“I know, but are you really gonna wanna be going anywhere when we get there?” Maddie looked over at her chilled back in the passenger seat.
“Nah, not really.” She sighed, adjusting her seat back up. “I could do with a burger. This stuff of Amy’s is getting a bit... boring.”
“Tell me about it!” Maddie chuckled, flicking the indicator on. “I love that she did that, but...”
“Her heart was in the right place.”
“Mmm.” Maddie pursed her lips as she drove down to the McDonalds. “She’ll do anything for you, you know.” She pulled into a park outside.
“I know.” Quinn agreed, unclipping her seatbelt, happy to have the stretch. “And I love her to bits.” She looked over at Maddie, taking the keys out; she could see she wasn’t sure how to respond. “She’s always had my back. And I’ve got hers.” As they got out, Maddie nudged her in the arm.
“I’ve got your back too, you know?”
“I know.” She smiled, meeting her around the other side. “You want anything else of me yet?” Quinn threw her arm over her shoulder, getting a shove in response.
“I’m still undecided.” Maddie giggled, opening the door. Quinn sighed.
“We’ll see, Campbell.”