Eleven

“It’s a six-hour drive. Even if we fly out from the city, it’s an hour’s drive and a six-hour flight with 2 stops. It’s cheaper to drive.” Maddie looked up from her tablet in the kitchen at Quinn lying on the couch in the lounge.
“I’ve still gotta cover accommodation costs, Mad. If I went by myself, I could sleep in the truck.”
“You are not sleeping in your truck!” Maddie headed into the lounge, flopping down in her father’s favourite chair.
“You need a support crew.” Quinn exhaled as she changed her position.
“I promised my uncle would be a part of this. I need to find accommodation for him. Everyone else can find their own.” She heard the silence momentarily and looked over her shoulder at Maddie in her dad’s chair. Their eyes met.
“Does that include me?” Her shoulders dropped as Quinn sat up, turning towards her.
“Mad, you’re doing all this for me, us.” She corrected herself as a little smile hit her dimple. “So, I guess you’re included.”
“Oh, thanks!” Maddie laughed at her sarcasm as Quinn grabbed a drink and joined her in the kitchen. “So, the question is then, how many rooms are we booking, and what are the sleeping arrangements?” Quinn stopped beside her, flicking her can tab towards the bin. Leaning on the counter, she looked her over.
“Uncle Buck snores, but I can probably handle sharing a room for a couple of nights. Unless...” She moved closer. “You wanna share, and he sleeps on a single?”
“In the same room?”
“Sure!” Quinn shrugged, taking a swig of her can. She met Maddie’s knitted brow staring at her. “You want the single?”
“I can’t share with you and your Uncle be in the same room!”
“And why not?” Quinn smirked. “We’re only sleeping, Mad. Besides, I remember having to bunk in with you and Noah as a kid a few times; it wasn’t that bad.” Quinn breathed, seeing her swiping through the accommodation listings on her tablet with more force. She moved closer, giving her a little nudge.
“We can share, but we must book Uncle his room. That means we can’t go too flashy or expensive, alright? Just comfortable.” She leaned over, kissing her head, before heading back to the lounge. Maddie relaxed, watching her park herself back on the couch. Not that anything was going to happen between them being in a hotel room alone together, but in case it did... A little smile hit her cheeks. It didn’t matter. She felt comfortable enough with Quinn now; she didn’t feel like there was an expectation of sleeping together. They were only having fun. Right?

“I think I’ve found one.” Maddie looked up, suddenly realising Quinn wasn’t even there. Noah popped his head up from his desk in the corner.
“What you looking for?”
Maddie sighed; she didn’t want everyone to know she was trying to find them a room, her and Quinn a room together. She rocked a little in her dad’s chair.
“I’ve been searching for accommodation in Morgantown for Quinn’s Timbersports. We can’t go to flash, but I think I found one that will do. It’s cheap enough. We need a room for her uncle, too.” He turned in his chair.
“Do you need some money?”
“No, I’m fine.” Noah watched her run her hand through her hair, clamming up a little. He put his pen down.
“Mad, I know you’re broke. Let me help.” Maddie shook her head, her hand rubbing her forehead. She hated it when Noah did this! He could see right through her.
“I can find the money! I have signed a contract with Quinn to get her to this comp, and I will, no matter what I have to do, alright!”
“Mad, you don’t have to.”
“I’m fine, Noah!” She got up about to leave, stopping momentarily, knowing he cared. “Thanks anyway.” Noah watched her go. Maddie definitely was the most stubborn and proud of his cousins. He turned back around to his laptop, bringing up his accounts. He moved over a grand from his savings account, making a payment into Quinn’s bank account. If Maddie wouldn’t accept his help, he would help his younger cousin directly.

“Hey.”
“Hey.” He found her on the phone outside Annie’s cabin. He took a seat on the stairs to the decking. Belinda’s cottage on the other side of the driveway was newer than the others. Their grandfather spoiling his only daughter with the sunny spot. Annie was inside, making them a coffee. Noah watched his adopted cousin pacing a little, listening to whoever was on the other side.
“Yip, okay.” She nodded, stopping just in front of him. “I will, uncle, and I will get Maddie to record it for you.” Her eyes met Noah’s. “Okay, uncle. I’ll catch up with you before we go. Love you. Bye.”
“He doesn’t want to go?” He asked as she hung up.
“Nah,” she shrugged, sitting on the step beside him. “It’s the travel. He said he just couldn’t handle the thought of sitting in the car for six hours.”
“Hmm.” He nodded, completely understanding. “Oh well, just you and Maddie going then?”
“Yeah,” She adjusted her position, tucking her phone back in her pocket. “She’s been looking at some accommodation for us. I’ll have to let her know he’s not coming. Ha, will make it cheaper now.”
“You don’t have to go too cheap, Q.”
“Ahh, yeah, we do. Maddie hasn’t exactly got the funding for this trip. I mean, she reckons she’s got our travel covered, but…I don’t know. At least she’s trying. I was happy to go by myself; I’ve slept in my truck before.”
“You wanna sleep in your truck?” A cup appeared in front of her from behind as Annie handed it to her.
“I’m more than capable.”
“Yuck.” Annie sat down on the step next to them. “Sorry, cousin, I didn’t know you were here.”
“It’s fine; I was looking for Quinn.” He met her eyes on him. He sighed. “Maddie thinks she’s found somewhere for you to stay, but with your uncle not coming, maybe you can now find yourselves something better.”
“I’m not fussed.”
“I am.” He said as she took a sip. Annie popped her head into view.
“What are you up to?” She indicated to him.
“Well, Maddie wouldn’t accept my help, which is nothing new, but…” He saw both staring back at him. “I have made a direct donation to our cousin here to get her to Morgantown.”
“You what?”
“Noah…” Quinn shook her head. “You didn’t have to.”
“Ahh, yeah, he did!” Annie sat back with her coffee, feeling their eyes suddenly fall on her. “What?!” She shrugged. “Like you can afford to go by yourself?! And Maddie, ugh, like she’s broke. I can’t help so…” She popped her lip out. “At least you can sleep in a decent bed.” Her eyebrow rose as it just hit her. “Both of you can sleep in a decent bed.” Quinn caught the cheeky look from her younger cousin as the smile crossed her cheeks.
“We were only sharing to cut down on costs. It’s not like we haven’t shared before; we all have.”
“Not as adults who dig each other like you two, Quinny.” Annie laughed. Noah shook his head.
“Look, I know you’re not blood, Quinn, but this still feels weird to me, you two…” He waved his hands. Quinn put her hand on his arm, reassuring him.
“We’re not okay. Well, not yet. Maddie’s just,” she looked between them, not really knowing what to say.
“she’s playing with you.” Annie sat back, sipping her drink.
“She’s not,”
“Ahh, yeah, she is! I’ve seen her.” She waved her hand. Quinn knitted her brow.
“You don’t know what you’re talking about!”
“I do!” Annie leaned closer. “But, all I’m saying is, she knows you care deeply about her, and you’ll do anything for her to give you the time of day. Don’t let her use you, cause she will.” She nudged her. “Don’t give in too quickly, Q. She’ll crush your heart into a million pieces. And you know it.”
“Yeah,” They heard Noah sigh beside them. He looked at Quinn as he got up. “I’ve deposited enough into your bank account to cover this trip fully. Book yourself a nice room or two rooms if you want.” He shrugged, digging his hands into his pockets. “You’re the boss here, Q. You need to concentrate on why you’re going, not…bedding my cousin.”
“Noah!” Quinn said a little too loudly as he left them, heading back towards the house.
“He’s right, though.” Annie stood up, brushing off her skirt. “She’s not the trophy, you are.”