Twenty Four

Waa could feel the breeze running past her as she took her first step onto the slackline.
“Okay, take it easy. Feel the rope under your feet. Take it nice and slow. Remember you have the safety harness attached.” She nodded, trying to keep her nerves down. Quinn had insisted she get up there and do this before she had to bus back down to Vancouver later today. Mikom had insisted Waa drive her; even Winona said she was happy to, but Quinn wanted to go home. Leave these memories here in Squamish. She would be back.
“Don’t fall!” Waa looked over, seeing her standing at the other end. She was hoping Quinn would have been on her way home, before she got a booking with the Slackline adventure. But she was here now, and a bet was a bet. She stopped momentarily, catching her breath as the wind shook her balance.
“You’ve got this Waa!” She kept going.
“You still owe me a massage session!”
“Me!” Quinn laughed. It had been more challenging to relax with her Mitchell family in the next room as Waa rubbed her down. Her mother had even invited herself to help rub her down. She nicely declined. Waa’s touch was enough.
“Tell you what!” She yelled out. “I’ll buy you a coffee before I go!” Waa kept walking.
“Better be in a jacuzzi and with no clothes on!”
“Haa.” Quinn blushed, seeing those around look at her confused. “The air is getting to her.” She shrugged. “Can you hurry up!”
“Quinn, you’re not helping!”
“Sorry!”
Quinn saw her lose her balance a little, stopping to reset.
“You’re doing great,” the instructor yelled. “Almost there!”
“Almost there, he says,” Waa said to herself, not ready to look up yet. But she could see the red marking in her eye slight. She just had to get past that.
“Proud of you, Waa, you’re almost there!” She took a few more steps, her foot sliding over the red marker. She looked up, stretching her hand out to the railing.
“Yay! Woohoo!” Quinn cheered, looking up at her. Waa leaned on the decking, looking down at her. “How was that?” Quinn watched her unclip and climb down the two-metre ladder. Waa stopped before her, looking back up at the rope, not even that far from the ground.
“Why are you cheering so much? I’ve climbed rock faces higher than that.” Quinn couldn’t get the smile off her face.
“Now that you’ve done this, I know you’ll be up there next time I return.” She pointed to the rope 10 metres up.
“Hmm,” Waa turned back to her, her eyes flicking over her lips. “So, you’re coming back?” Quinn saw the look on her face. She shrugged.
“I have family here now, and I feel closer to my father up here.” Her eyes met hers. “And I get great massages.”
“Hmm,” Waa leaned closer, wetting her lip. “It’s not too late for one last quick session? God knows I could do with one to celebrate conquering that.” Quinn slowly stepped back, dropping her head. The thought of going home today and seeing Maddie had been playing on her mind. She did miss her. She leaned forward taking Waa’s lips in her own. Waa wasn’t expecting that public display of affection and blushed. Quinn smiled back at her.
“My heart is in Ypsilanti. I’m ready to go home.”

~~~

After her six-and-a-half-hour journey home, it was dark time when Quinn finally drove down the driveway to her Campbell family homestead. Seeing the lights were off in the main house she left her bag in the truck and walked up the path towards her and Maddie’s cabins. She stopped outside Maddie’s momentarily, breathing in the air surrounding her. Maddie’s cabin was in darkness. She would have to wait until the morning to see her.
Just about to move on, she saw Maddie’s lounge light flick on. She paused.
Did she know she was here?
Smiling to herself, she stepped onto her decking, about to knock on her door, when she heard a thud on the floor and glass shatter.
“Maddie?” She knocked, her hand sliding down to the door handle, giving it a turn.
“Maddie, it’s me, are you...oh god!” Quinn ran to her side. She was slumped on the floor, pale as a ghost, broken glass by her foot.
“Maddie,” She tapped her cheek. “Hey.” Her breathing was shallow. “Shit.” She took the phone out of her pocket. “It’s okay, babe, I’m here now.” She put her phone to her ear.
“Yeah, hi, I need an ambulance,” She felt her hands, they were cold.
“And hurry.”