Twenty Six

The crowds were already gathering. The weather was warming up, indicating it would be a good day.
“Are you sure you’re going to be okay?” Quinn gathered her gear bag, standing her axes against the wheel of their rental car. She was wearing her blue competitor’s shirt. Maddie was slinging her camera bag over her shoulders.
“Yip, I’ve got a copy of the schedule. So I might check out some other events while you do your thing.”
“My thing, huh.” Quinn stopped beside her, smiling to herself. Maddie was wearing one of her signature designed shirts, rolled up at the sleeves. Her ripped light navy jeans added to her attire for the day. She was in work mode. Maddie stopped a moment seeing her eyes on her, sucking her lip gently. She smiled back.
“Yes?” Quinn’s eyes trailed over her; she couldn’t get the smile off her face.
“You are so gorgeous.” She leaned into her, unable to stay away since their heated session last night.
“Hey, now you need to concentrate on your performance today,” her eyebrow rose. “Not last nights.”
“Oh, but last night was so..”
“Alright, alright.” Maddie pushed her back, feeling the heat come to her cheeks. It had been amazing to connect with Quinn physically again. Her closeness was additive.
“Hey, I’m not due to register for another 20 minutes, but,” Quinn picked up her axe, digging her fingers into her axe cover. “But I feel like,” She pulled her necklace out holding it in her hand. She stopped back in front of Maddie, pursing her lips. “It’s time I give this to you. It’s always been yours.” Quinn searched her eyes. “You’re my lucky charm, Mad, and I think now that you’re here by my side,” She chuckled a little. “I don’t need it so much.” Maddie felt her drop the golden M in her hand, the chain falling over her fingers. The necklace that had started it all. She exhaled. This simple M meant so much more than she realised.
“Wait.” She stopped Quinn as she locked up the car. Quinn stepped closer as Maddie reached into her camera bag.
“When I was up in Detroit after German fest, I got a little something for you.” Quinn looked down at the little purple satin purse in her hand. “Open it.” Taking a glimpse at her, Quinn pulled the tie apart, a silver labrys on the delicate chain sat in her hand.
“Babe.”
“You like it?” Quinn could almost feel the tears in her eyes.
“I love it.” Maddie smiled, instantly taking it in her hands. Quinn turned around, letting her put it on her.
“I mean, I know you had this,” She held up the M. “But, you’re a lumberjill, you know.” She leaned into her “My lumberjill.”
“Here,” Quinn took the M from her hand. “So lame, Quinny,” She said to herself. “I should have done this first for you. So, losing my touch.”
“You are.” Maddie could feel the cold pendant against her skin. Quinn’s eyes lightened up as she exhaled.
“Just where I’ve always imagined it.” Maddie caressed the M in her fingers. With such love in Quinn’s eyes, she leant forward, kissing her softly.
“I love you.” Quinn’s dimple approved.
“You too, Campbell.”
“Quinn!” They looked up, Quinn realising it was Sandy LaVine.
“It’s Sandy!” She moved back from Maddie, suddenly nervous. “Hi, hey!” She put her hand out to shake hers. Sandy stopped in front of them.
“Good to see you made it; this is my husband, Tyshan.” The gorgeous dark-skinned man smiled back at her.
“Mm,” She heard Maddie’s approval beside her as she shook his hand.
“Quinn here is only a rookie, but,” Sandy nodded, appreciating her determination to be one of the best. “Is definitely one to watch this weekend.”
“Thanks,” Quinn smiled. “I’m looking forward to it.” She noticed Sandy’s eyes fall on Maddie beside her. “oh, Sandy, this is Maddie, my...” She paused a moment, her eyes falling on Maddie, waiting for her to introduce her. “Ha.” Quinn laughed to herself. Her brain was saying cousin like she’d always said. But she was so much more now; she didn’t even know what to say. Maddie rolled her eyes, deciding to introduce herself. She put her hand out.
“I’m Maddie, Quinn’s partner.” Quinn was still smiling to herself as they shook hands.
“Sorry, it’s a long story.”
“Well nice to meet you, and good luck today, Quinn. We’ll see you out there.”
“Nice to meet you.” Tyshan waved as he followed his wife. Maddie swiftly smacked her in the arm.
“What was that?!”
“Sorry!” Quinn apologised. “I’m so used to calling you my cousin. I just...” She laughed. “I didn’t know what to say!”
“You could have said cousin.”
“Ahh, no,” Quinn reached back for her axes and bag. “She just saw us kissing. We’re not doing the kissing cousins thing again.”
“So, what?” Maddie checked her equipment. “am I just the girlfriend now?”
“No,” Quinn tilted her head, wrapping her hands around Maddie’s cheeks for a moment. “my partner in everything sounds about right.” She gave her a quick kiss. “Let’s go, it’s show time.”