THE LAST PAINTING

Nobody was more astounded than Bahadur seeing Raymond barging unannounced, inside Anikaa's library, stopping with quick abruptness and gawking at three of them with a feeling of puzzlement and it was this sight that misbalanced him and toppled him from top of the ladder. It would have been one nasty fall, had Anikaa not held his hand just in time from the other side of the ladder.

"Rachel, close your mouth and help Bahadur please," said Anikaa as Rachel gaped at the scene. She knew that Raymond was coming but she was equally taken aback by his sudden appearance. It wasn't his fault as well, considered Rachel as she helped Bahadur. It was one of those strange requests of Anikaa that had put her soothing nerves into a tizzy.

It all happened after the sumptuous breakfast. Though her heart was not in it, her tummy was satiated. And just when she thought she could have a normal day, Anikaa asked her to come down to the library. Of course, she was prepared to do so as she had bundle of emails, letters and papers to sign for Anikaa but she wasn't prepared for- 'Get the painting'.

'Get the painting,' Anikaa had said an hour ago. How blithely the words came out of her mouth as if she was just asking her to pluck apples from the orchard. For a moment Rachel didn't believe her ears, she kept blinking at Anikaa but when Anikaa repeated her instruction, Rachel was aghast. It was one of the biggest sales of Anikaa which not only brought her fortune but also fame amongst the International aristocratic society, the people who don't' buy expensive things to represent their status but add value to their property by procuring one of a kind things, one that cannot be replicated. It was Marquis's strict orders that the painting is not to be replicated; but the prints had been sold and after a few minutes of conversation with Anikaa, Marquis had taken back his demand. According to his assistant, Anikaa's argument that- Monalisa being printed thousand times and yet is the most expensive painting made Marquis's day. For the first time in twenty years, he had dropped his favourite caviar from the menu. Even after the sale, Rachel had kept in touch with his assistant and he had informed her that the Marquis had set the painting in his treasured piano room where he entertains his guests. Several people had admired the wide blatant strokes and the simplicity of the painting. A few of them had even inquired about the artist but Marquis being the complex man that he is had kept his quiet and now...

"Oh dear! How can you ask the painting back?" Rachel had questioned and pestered Anikaa with her questions- 'Why do you want the painting? How is it possible?' But her ifs and buts had gone deaf on Anikaa's ears.

"Rachel, Rachel...," Rachel was jolted out of her thoughts when someone shook her shoulders.

"Are you alright?" asked Raymond as Rachel looked up.

"Yes," said Rachel slowly as she saw Anikaa standing on the head of her library table, talking on the phone, Raymond standing beside her and Bahadur, nowhere in sight.

"Oh! I am sorry, I'm not in my mind," said Rachel running a hand on her head. "Do sit down. I will just get you refreshments."

"Well, I don't want anything," said Raymond as Rachel smiled.

"Giving you a hard time, is she?" she asked in a low voice.

"Haven't had a dull moment since we met," said Raymond.

They both chuckled as Anikaa cleared her throat.

"Are you two done talking about me?"

"Oh no mam, we were just....,"

"Save it Rachel," said Anikaa pleasantly and turned towards Raymond- "Have a seat Mr. Sturrock."

Raymond's jaw tightened as Anikaa called him by his family name instead of first name but he took the shot and returned to Anikaa.