THE KANDARPS

Some were startled, some couldn't keep up and were asking others what Anikaa said, some clapped, some grinned and a few started to go over to Shireen and Ramnik to congratulate.

"Anikaa, you can't buy the museum," Shireen said loudly, from where she was standing as Mrs.Negi held her hand in the midst of wishing her, looking to and fro at Anikaa and Shireen.

"Why not?"

"Well...because..."

"You just said Raja Saheb has no heir and he has willed all his property to his ashram that means when he dies, the proprietorship of the museum will be transferred on the ashram's name-," said Anikaa looking at Hemant who nodded in assent, "-which means the ashram can sell the place at its own will whenever it wants. And believe me once they see the money, they won't give you even one chance to change their mind about it."

"Oh dear! Are you sure?" said Shireen disbelievingly, thinking that Anikaa might change her statement but when Anikaa remained poised as ever she broke into a grin.

"That's incredible!"

A round of applause broke out but Anikaa raised her hand.

"Not to mention, our dear Mr. Sturrock, the new entrant to our community will renovate it free of charge."

Raymond was caught off-guard. His jaw tightened as everybody raised their glasses to him and Milan near to him patted on his back but he played along. He glanced at Anikaa and realised that it was nothing but a payback from her for his goading in the garden. Had it been someone else he would have blankly denied in front of everyone as Sturrocks' though involved in realty for more than fifty years offered services in constructing bridges, towers, skyscrapers with a budget that started with a certain million and not in renovating a small town museum. He could imagine the face of his team of architects if he mentioned the museum. He was tempted to refuse but one look at Anikaa and he was convinced that handling the board was much easier than handling her.

The party took its course. The evening that had started with mellow music, wine and light snacks was beginning to shape into a long night as it was close to midnight but nobody had left. Guests were strewn all over the living room of Anikaa. Inebriated and encouraged by the wine, people in their formal suits were reclining on the couch and lounge chairs like they never wanted the night to end. Occasionally, one could hear Milan's hearty guffaw but other than that the music was switched off, the grill was shut and Bahadur was now offering coffee and desserts to the guests. Though there were almost fifty people in the room, the sound hardly went above a soft murmur. A few of them wanted to venture into the garden but the rain, Anikaa's favourite water from the heavens had started drizzling which lowered the outside temperature to the degree that one would tremble without a shawl. So when everyone was cooped up inside for the warmth, there was only one girl standing outside. So engrossed was she in her thoughts and the low pitter-patter of rain that she didn't notice the soft footstep behind her. However, she became aware as warm breath fanned her hair.

"You play very well, Miss Mehra." Anikaa stiffened as soon as she heard the low whisper behind her. She knew that Raymond would confront her as soon as he gets his chance but it shocked that she could feel his warm breath so close which meant that he was leaning and leaning very close to her. She turned around.

"Well, you always complain that I don't tell you anything. So here you are, I have given you the court and its keys."

For a moment, it looked that Raymond was about to burst with a retort but when his handsome face broke into a grin Anikaa was surprised.

Raymond chuckled as he said- "You giving court and its keys! That would be the end of the world."

Anikaa's lips twitched to a smile as she eyed him.