THE FETE AT MILANS'

It was four pm but by the look of the sky, it seemed that the evening was on the brink of settling down. Dark clouds hovered in the sky, veiling the golden light of the setting sun. Shireen was relaxing on the lounger while a masseuse was massaging her feet.

"My...my...I think it's going to rain again. What's happening to the weather- rain in winter- never seen it before," said Shireen staring outside through the veranda in her room.

"The weather is just like people madam, all changed- not the same anymore," said the masseuse in a reedy voice.

The lady in service of Shireen was a middle- aged, plump, double-chinned woman with a round face. Her hair was tied in a neat bun and her visage was deadpan. She was a local woman who tended her massage services to selected women of upper echelons of the society. It was her thing; no matter how much money was on the line she would cater only to the ones she wanted. Shireen liked her as she never talked or said anything more than required but today she had made a strange comment about people. Why? Is anything wrong? Shireen was about to raise her concern when her phone rang. She lifted the phone on third ring.

"Good evening Shireen, how are you doing?" roared the voice from the other end of the phone.

"Milan dear, I was just waiting for your phone," said Shireen politely.

"Aw, come on, I know you very well. Right now, you must be eating your tea or getting a massage. I know very well that you get cramps in your feet in winters and only Paloma's magical touch can soothe them."

Shireen looked at Paloma, the masseuse and leaned back on the lounger, stretching her oiled feet gingerly.

"Yes. You do know me very well," sighed Shireen.

"So, how was your trip to Maldives? Enjoyed the little company?"

"Let's say, sometimes you have to reflect the enjoyment for other's happiness."

"Yes. I see that happening most of the time nowadays," said Milan solemnly.

"So, when are you coming home for dinner? I have a good mind to try my grandma's meat recipe this week," said Shireen.

"Whenever you'll make it, I'll be there. But, tonight I'm inviting you guys to come over dinner. It's Panduga- the annual winter farm festival and everyone is gathering to celebrate over drinks and dinner."

"It's today? But, Anikaa didn't tell me."

"Er...coz I told her that I'll invite you myself. So you are coming right?" asked Milan.

"I can't Milan. We have guests, I mean...Naina and Nishant are here so...,"

"Oh! Bring them along," said Milan in a jaunty voice.

"Well...," Shireen looked outside as the clouds rumbled in the distance and glanced at her pampered feet.

"Milan, I would love to come but I have been trotting out for last two weeks and I wish to relax at home now," said Shireen feelingly.

"Oh...Alright, if you wish so. But Anikaa and Rachel are coming right?"

"Well I can't stop them and if Prashant takes Naina?"

"I would love to see Prashant and Naina. Alright, I will wait for everyone and don't you forget to call me when you make that recipe. See ya," said Milan and disconnected the phone.